'64 Hyperextended door hinge?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AmishDude

'64 Hyperextended door hinge?

Post by AmishDude »

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums so I apologize if I'm reposting a previous post. However, I just recently(5 days) ago purchased a '64 T-Bird project. While doing some carb tuning the car slipped into reverse and backed straight into my neighbors garage. My drivers side door was caught on his trailer and bent the door pretty bad. Aside from going to a shop and spending thousands what can I do to fix this? I was thinking new hinges but can they be bent back into place? The door bends past a 90 degree angle towards the front fender. I'll attached a few pictures of the damage if I can figure out how. I appreciate any and all help. I owned a few older fords but this is my first attempt at fixing up a T-Bird!
Tbird100636

Re: '64 Hyperextended door hinge?

Post by Tbird100636 »

Our 64 had something similar happen 17 years ago. Best to find a couple good used hinges, but you'll likely need the A-Pillar pulled on a frame rack. Door may have some damage too. On our 64, we had the bumpers off. For some oddball reason, my uncle wanted the front park/turn lights back on so he could drive it to get bead blasted for paint. I reluctantly hung them on, and added a jumper wire to ground so they'd work, which they did. I told him they worked, and not to touch them or mess with them. Hours later, he did. "They weren't working so I figured the car had to be running for them to work." Well my grandfather came out, and being legally blind hit the shift lever, pinning my uncle against the garage wall. My grandfather then pulled the shift lever into reverse. The car started rolling back, my grandfather tried to get in as my uncle was yelling "Step on the brake, step on the brake!". Well that didn't happen, he ended up stepping on the gas, and the car's open driver's door got snagged on the center post of the garage. The door, hinges, and A-Pillar was bent like yours. A good set of hinges were installed, but unfortunately the body guy didn't have the guts to try pulling the A-pillar more than he did. He ended up shimming the hell out of the hinges and the door ended up being halfway decent instead of being fixed right.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Aside from your door problem...Is this the first '64-66 Bird you ever owned? If so, you had better start working on the 'sloppy shifter syndrome' ASAP...It is a problem with all the '64-66 Birds..There are lots of threads here about it...can be very dangerous to car and driver. I'm sure others here will chime in on that one. I assume that it may have been the cause of the slipping into reverse if it seemingly did so on it's own. Just figured I'd mention it in case you are a newbie to these cars.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
AmishDude

Post by AmishDude »

First off, thanks for the replies. I was worried and hoping I wouldn't have to mess with the A pillar, but what's done is done. I don't plan for this to be a show car, Just a fun weekend cruiser. But with that being said, anything worth doing is worth doing the right way. Hopefully my old friend will be willing to straighten this frame for me.(As if he hasn't done enough dram work for me) And as far as the shifter, Do you know where The major problem lies? As far as why they can slip into gear? This is my first Thunderbirds I've owned. My main experience is dealing with older small block Mustangs.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

The photo shows the problem - notch wears in the end of the shift lever. You can weld it up or buy a new one. You will have to drift out the roll pin to get the shift lever out which can be difficult

Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK