1966 Seat Belt Length

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

abaucom

1966 Seat Belt Length

Post by abaucom »

My 1966 Convertible had a new black interior when I purchased it (includes newer seat belts). Issue is the front seat belts have very little play in the adjustable length. Drivers side seat I can just get the belt buckled around my 34-inch waist and passenger side belt is to tight (short) to buckle by about one-inch.

Issue seems to be buckle side of front seat belts have very little (limited) extension. Is there an adjustment I can make on left side (buckle side) of front seat belts to increase extension on buckle side of seat belts? OR, do I need to order new parts, if so what parts?

Searched the internet to find correct factory front seat belt length and no luck. Replacement seat belts come in sizes 60-inch and 74-inch from multiple vendors. What length of front seat belt should my 1966 have? Issue is buckle side (left side of front seats) have very limited extension while right side of seat belts (clasp side) seem to have full extension.

Question: Anyone know why my seat belts have limited adjustability? Could something be hung up in the retracting Buckle side mechanism and is this something I can fix myself. I know the 1966 came from factory with seat belts but were they retractable seat belts? Issue seems to be there is very limited slack / adjustability on the side of the seat containing the buckle. Example: driver seat buckle is on left side of seat between left door and drivers seat. When you pull on the buckle side of the belt, the buckle side only extends to about my left side hip (very little extension). Issue of limited seat belt extension only seems to be on the front seat buckle side of the front seat belts. Right side of seat belts (side with clasp...right side of seat belts) seems to have a lot of extension. Therefore, you can pull the seatbelt across your lap from right to left (both drivers & passenger seat) but due to limited extension from left buckle side end up with drivers side buckle on your left hip and passenger left buckle side of seat belt extension too short to connect to the clasp side (right side of the belt).

Currently my auto is in the shop (more tweaking issues - LOL) and all my manuals are with the auto. Do not want the shop to address this seat belt issue if it is something I can fix myself with limited tools. Hopefully I can address this issue fast as the few times I have driven the auto my front seat passenger can not buckle up which is a safety issue and the law requires to buckle up.

Sad to say I have had only very limited time driving this Bird since I had it shipped to Canada last Nov. Fact is I can not even remember the style of seat belt buckle currently on my Bird. Have not been able to find a picture of the factory buckle on the Net. If anyone has a picture of a factory correct seat belt buckle I would appreciate.

Hopefully, will get the Bird from the shop within the next 10 days and want to move fast to fix the seat belt issue. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a picture of my Bird interior showing rear seat belts.
Do not have a good picture of the front seat belts except for the following. If you look close, at bottom of picture, you will see the passenger side seat belt retracted (clasp side of the seat belt). Clasp side of seat belt has an extension that can be pulled fully across your hips. Look close, between the passenger seat and console you will see the seat belt part that has the buckle. On the drivers side seat belt with buckle is also on left side of seat (both sides...buckle side and clasp side retract).

Sorry for the long post but tried to be as detailed as possible so someone on this Board can help me trouble shoot the front seat belt issue. I would not drive any car around the block unless driver and passenger buckled, serious safety issue. Currently with my 34-inch waist I can just buckle up on driver's side, seat belt connection about on my left hip, not in the middle of my waist line. When I sit in the passenger seat, can not get the buckle side or clasp side of the belts to connect. Perhaps if I had a 30-inch waist line but those days of such a small waistline are long gone (LOL).

Issue seems to be buckle side of front seat belts have very little (limited) extension. Is there an adjustment I can make on left side (buckle side) of front seat belts to increase extension on buckle side of seat belts? OR, do I need to order new parts, if so what parts?
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
BrianC

Re: 1966 Seat Belt Length

Post by BrianC »

I have a '66 ragtop with original belts...The driver's side roller belt (the one that extends) measures 17.5" to the tip of the chrome buckle, fully extended. Fully extended, the tip comes just past my hip (I'm 6' tall)..so yes there isn't much length to work with on that belt. Also, since that extender belt is stationary, how far up or back you adjust the seat will affect how it 'fits' your hip area. Obviously, the makeup adjustment has to come from the other belt that's supposed to have enough slack to let out to reach the roller buckle. I can adjust mine to fit fine with 36" waist.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Thanks much for information on your 1966 seatbelts.

Can anyone find a picture they can post of the factory stock seat belt buckle? I have tried to find a pic on the web without results. Just want to be sure if I have to order new lap belt parts, at least I will have the correct style of the lap belt clasp.

Still not sure why when I web search 1966 Thunderbird seatbelts most vendors offer both a 60-inch and a 74-inch replacement seat belts. What was the original seat belt length, why do after-market vendors offer two different seat belt lengths?

Issue (both drivers side and passenger side). Left side of seat belt has very little extension. Right side of seat belt has some extension, when pulled across the waist. Belt parts connect at lower left hip and not close to mid-waist. With my 34-waist can just get the drivers side belt clasped at my lower left hip. When I sit on the passenger side, right side seat, there is not enough slack / extension on the lap belt to buckle-in with my 34-inch waist. So passenger side lap belt useless, not enough slack/extension to connect the belt parts.

Obviously there is something wrong with my front seat belts. Do not know if I need to order new lap belts (60-inch or 74-inch?) or is there some kind of adjustment I can do with existing front seat belts.

Currently do not want a front seat passenger in my auto because front seat passenger can not securely belt-in. Personal issue I will not drive around the block unless myself and all passengers belted-in. 1967, I was a rear seat passenger in a new 1967 Camaro. Our Camaro driving at 55 mph T-Boned a drunk driver who pulled out in front of us. No one was wearing seatbelts even though both autos had seatbelts. Two died, it took 45 mins. to cut me out of the back seat. Perhaps if everyone in both autos had be belted-in, perhaps no deaths.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Judging by your experience in an accident...I wouldn't worry about the 'correctness' of any belts you put in, unless you are going for concours judging...You seem more concerned with the actual safety aspect of these lap belts (which in truth were OK, but not as good as 3 point belts that came later), so I would get what works for you safety-wise AFA seat belts, and start enjoying your T-Bird.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

.I wouldn't worry about the 'correctness' of any belts you put in, unless you are going for concours judging
Just thought I'd mention this for future reference, in VTCI judging, any seatbelt is accepted, as are fire extinguishers. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I cant seem to figure out how to post a picture here but if you go to this link you will see a decent picture of a belt buckle for the rear seat but it is the same as the front. ( I hate posting pictures here because for me it never works) http://automotivemileposts.com/files/tb ... elarge.jpg
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Kevin, you just need some practice :lol: :lol: Hope this helps out

It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

You are the man Bob. Everytime I tried to cut and paste it would allow me cut but when I was ready to paste it was not highlighted. I also could not figure out how to get it from url to img format. I saved to my computer but that is the only thing that went right. You are right, I just dont use it often enough to remember how to do it.
Thanks again
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Thanks for the image. Confirms my seat belt buckles factory stock.

Sad to say no-one on this forum has been able to give me guidance regarding if I should have 60-inch or 74-inch belt replacements. No help to determine why my front seat belts have such min. adjustability or I how I can correct.

Guess I am an own to figure out this seat belt issue. Guess others on this forum have not replaced 1966 Bird seatbelts when they restored their interiors.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
60fore

Post by 60fore »

abaucom wrote:Thanks for the image. Confirms my seat belt buckles factory stock.

Sad to say no-one on this forum has been able to give me guidance regarding if I should have 60-inch or 74-inch belt replacements. No help to determine why my front seat belts have such min. adjustability or I how I can correct.

Guess I am an own to figure out this seat belt issue. Guess others on this forum have not replaced 1966 Bird seatbelts when they restored their interiors.
Yes, that is truly sad. But as the old saying goes, "the good Lord helps those who help themselves". :angel:

I guess if all else fails you could just get a cloth tape measure, have your passenger sit in their seat, and take a measurement across their lap from one side of the seat to the other, add a couple of inches for adjustments in case of big meals, and order which ever length of belt is closest to your measurement.

Might sound crazy, but that's what I'd do.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

abaucom wrote:Thanks for the image. Confirms my seat belt buckles factory stock.

There are some items that have yet to be covered in discussions in the VTCI Forums - even after over 15 years of existence (going back before the Forum was reformatted in 2003) - this being one of them. Part of the beauty of this resource is that as long as files can be backed up and archived, there is a wealth of information that can be searched, and if nothing shows up someone will more than likely be able to ferret out an answer or go in the right direction. Some times patience is required before the answer can be posted, though.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Hi abaucom, can you measure what the length of each belt is from the hold down bolt out to the far edge of the clasp or buckle. Make sure the push button side is pulled out to the max and that there is no more belt to be pulled out of the retractor. Then hopefully if one of us other 66 owners has a chance we could do the same. I have a 36" waste and dont have alot of belt left but it is enough to be comfortable.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Once I get the 1966 out of the shop will follow instructions to determine the issue and post what I find here. Nothing major with my Bird, but a list of small minor things I wanted to sort out. Not much choice but to wait it out as where I live not many qualified shops that can work on old Birds and currently at one of the best.

Once I get the Bird back will take current seat belt measurements. With help from this forum think I have determined the belt buckles are correct on the 1966 from the picture posted. Thanks.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I measured my drivers seat belt today and the left side is 17 7/8" form th edge of the retractor housing to the tip of the male chrome piece. The right side is 33 1/2" from the center of the hold down bolt to the far edge of the buckle when it is adjusted all the way out to the end of the strap. Hope this helps as comparison.