Whose leaf springs to buy price/quality

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Jetbird

Whose leaf springs to buy price/quality

Post by Jetbird »

So I am ready to put leaf springs on the 64 HT. I have looked at a few sources and prices vary from $270 for the pair at Larry's to well over $500 at THQ. John R Spring has been recommended also, but I need to call for price. I don't think any of the suppliers includes bushings or hardware so that isn't the difference. Shipping is usually added extra $50 or so for oversize/overweight. My question is this: what suppliers have you all used and are you happy with the quality? If Larry's are good seems like best price, but given that Tbird leaf springs tend to collapse I want to buy something good... Any input appreciated, thank you.
1964 Hardtop, black with red interior.

You know that saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, I think that's stupid because I bet a cold iron would hurt like hell, too.
60fore

Re: Whose leaf springs to buy price/quality

Post by 60fore »

In my opinion and experience Eaton is at the top of the heap when it comes to quality. Definitely not the least expensive but you get what you pay for.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
paulr

Post by paulr »

This is a case where I don't want to listen to the Tbird vendors. Who knows where their springs come from, and good luck getting a straight answer. Eaton is right, if you can stand the shipping. I bought from a local truck spring manufacturer (Gittspring) made to Tbird spec.

Cheap price is no advantage for springs. It's a matter of steel quality. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbird

Post by tbird »

Only Eaton.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
vince

Post by vince »

You didn't ask but maybe helpful info. Recently checked with a local spring company I have used a few times on their opinion of new vs re-arch. They said the re-arch springs are perfectly fine. The big HOWEVER is the condition of the metal in the old spring.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Yes, I guess that is the question. In that case, I would want to know the shop had a very good reputation before trusting them to know if the springs could be saved with a re-arch. I have seen Dayton brand springs for sale pretty cheap on eBay, they claim they are made in USA. Anyone tried them? Is there some trick here, like they are assembled in USA from crappy Chinese components?

You know that saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, I think that's stupid because I bet a cold iron would hurt like hell, too.
Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Anyone tried Dayton?

Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

I bit the bullet and bought the Eaton springs online tonight. Will report when I get them in. This post was edited because it originally said "bit the bust" instead of bullet. Not sure what that would mean... Dang autocorrect.

Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Wow. I ordered my leaf springs for the 64 HT from Eaton Detroit Spring Sunday night, they arrived here in Massachusetts Wednesday afternoon. Fast turnaround, especially considering I ordered a non-standard ride height of plus one inch.