Battery replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

abaucom

Battery replacement

Post by abaucom »

Any recommendations for a 1966 Battery replacement? Note: my 1966 typically will be parked in my Ottawa apartment building underground parking from late Nov. - early/late April. Can not use a battery charger as no electrical outlets to plug in. Tempts in underground parking during winter months just at freezing. Occasionally they have to come in using a blow torch to heat overhead sprinkler pipes in the +200 auto parking garage.

I ask for the following reasons: Never owned a collectible auto before; auto has been at a restoration garage getting tweaked this winter and now in their storage until weather warms up (April?)...visited a week ago to check out work I requested (wonderful/happy) and they told me they would replace battery before they delivered as current battery 11 years old and not reliable for an auto seldom driven. I have no issue replacing the battery, just want most reliable I can find.

My '66' restored / refurbished in 2003, trailer queen, only driven about 1,000 miles since 2003 and I took delivery Nov. 2014. Reading other posts noticed when some people remove an older battery, the plate/bracket supporting the battery might show corrosion or rust. Is this plate/bracket hard to find or is it better to ask restoration garage to repair if damaged (at more than $100 per hour labor)? Just want to get my ducks in a row, in advance, so no last minute issues that will delay getting my auto.

Thrilled with the work my garage has completed since last Nov. They are very good at what they do, I just like to be a little more educated so I ask help here. Help & info I received on this forum has helped be make informed decisions during my correspondence with my restoration garage. Almost finished and looking foreword to driving my dream car in about another six weeks when weather improves. With the help of this forum, and dealing with an excellent garage, have keep my expenses in check. Just had my 1966 appraised for insurance. Purchase price + tweaks at the restoration garage this winter indicates I have not invested more then appraised value (except for extreme import taxes and transportation from the US to Canada) . Last owner was underwater, do not want to go too far and go underwater on current work I have commissioned.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
Joe Johnston

Re: Battery replacement

Post by Joe Johnston »

No recommendation other than for those inactive months I would remove the battery and find someplace in your apt to store it with an appropriate battery tender/maintainer. Cold and inactivity are severe conditions and shorten battery life.

If you want to duplicate original equipment, Restoration Battery in Cincinnati OH should have it.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I would take the battery out and bring it inside your apartment and place it on a piece of wood in a closet or something. You can always get a battery tender and connect it in the apartment. With the battery out you save yourself the risk of electrical fire and theft of the car being driven away. As for the battery tray - if it is rusted out that can be replaced easily and can be ordered from any of the Bird part houses.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
franklin

Post by franklin »

Removing it may increase your battery life,,? If its fully charged it will last many months in cold without any problems. I dont think the birds draw any current other than the clock. If your clock works, then you will get a minimal draw which can discharge the battery over a few months. Can you start it once a month and let it get to operating temps?
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I pull the fuse (actually I just pull it half-way out,t so I can push it back in easily) on the clock for the winter. The Bird sits in my attached garage where the temps have been in the 27-35 degree range this year and have no problem when I stick to a once a month start-up for it (I will do a 10 mile run if weather permits). My last battery lasted 10 years in these conditions.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have a battery switch,the green round ones that connects to the battery each and every time I park my car. It keeps it safe all year not having the battery on and the only thing preset on our Birds is the clock so no big deal. Also great to use the switch when you are working on the car too.
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I use that also Richard- I unscrew the knob completely and put it in my pocket when I go to an overnight show as an anti theft device.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
ofairlane

Post by ofairlane »

What was said about the battery life shortens from the cold is true, any and all batteries will lose power in the cold, especially if not charged on a regular basis, leave your cell phone outside in the cold for a bit, it will be dead in minutes. That being said, the more often a battery dies, the shorter if life is.
I always, always, always when storing my car for it's winter hibernation, pull the battery out and store it in my basement, on a piece of wood so it and the concrete are not in contact. It will be kept plenty warm in the basement and as it gets close to getting the car ready to drive again, I put my charger on it and it's ready to go.
I recommend always taking the battery out .
As for the tray, they are available at Mac's and Concours Parts and I have seen the right size battery at believe it or not, BJ's and Tractor Supply, here in the states.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

This may not ever happen but it is worth considering---The only problem I see with removing the battery and putting it somewhere else is in a case where, if you ever have to move the car quickly (for an emergency or some urgent reason), you are SOL. Also, if you live in an area where you can still get the car out about once a month to run it, it discourages you from doing that on a whim if a nice day pops up.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

FWIW...
I'm not a fan of starting the cars in the winter months when they can't be driven (too much brine & salt on roads here). Everything that you read says that cold starts are the worst thing you can do to an engine. And just idling can lead to more condensate.
The battery disconnect "switches" as noted above seem like a really good idea.
Can you hook up a charger/maintainer for a short while [maybe with an extension cord?] once per month while you "tinker"? With no real draw, a good battery will keep a charge for a pretty long time.
I like the AGM batteries for collector cars due to NO liquid acid and NO possibility of a leak. I double checked my file a couple of weeks back, the "Optima" in the Tiger is from 03-1998 and was still working fine last month, so can't complain about the life. There are now quite a few choices with AGM technology.

Best of Luck to you.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Information has been most helpful and thanks to all. Moved from Dallas to Ottawa back in 2003, and thankful I have a group of car guy friends here that have given me winter tips over the years. Most all of those friends have a least one or more autos they store during winter months. All suggest not starting the auto during the winter unless I can get it on the road at speed for about 1/2-hour which is out of the question here in Ottawa winter months.

I will look into the AGM batteries and thanks for the input. Last month when I went to the restoration garage to view the completed auto even the owner of the shop suggested I don't start the car until it can be "driven". Even though my apartment building underground garage parking seldom gets below 29F during coldest months will consider removing the new battery next winter.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

It's nice to have some good/local/experienced advisers.
I have cars parked in my unheated Pole Building, and for a few years I had more cars than "battery maintainers". I found that I could rotate the maintainer between cars [batteries], and they would be fully charged in a short time. My "indoor" temperatures vary, the coldest that I noted was right around that same 28 degree (F) range that you are seeing. The older cars (T-bird & Tiger) with no electronics seem to drain the battery very little over the course of even a month or 6 weeks.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

Mark...perhaps I am a little anal regarding my 1966. Delivered Nov., have only drove it about 100 yards, since Nov.

FYI, sold my 1998 pearl white Riviera to make parking space for the 1966 Bird. The Riviera was low mileage, pristine, a southern auto I inherited from my South Carolina aunt back in 2005. Since 2005, only drove the Riv. about 400 miles a year during warm days and stored Nov. - April.

Each year the Riv. was stored during winters for about 5-6 months a year, for 8 years. Each year in April the Riv. started without hesitation until last year, I replaced the battery. During all those years in winter storage, never took the battery out of the Riv. during winter storage, computer issues etc., auto was exposed to sometimes damp 28 F temps.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

abaucom wrote:Mark...perhaps I am a little obsessive regarding my 1966...
(reworded a little) :roll:

I [and I'm sure many others here] heartily agree. If you saw our Thunderbird with the cover on, perched up on its jackstands in the back of the building, with the WD40 sprayed in the carb, dessicant bags over the carb, gas tank filled to the brim with 93/"Star-Tron" additive, battery maintainer with the glowing green light, etc - you'd know it for sure.
Oh yes, and the owner/driver anxiously awaiting the warm weather and clean roads :cool:
John R. Thomas

Post by John R. Thomas »

Interesting in ref to freezing sprinkler pipes. I wonder where else your building owner cut corners.
He was too cheap to install a system for an out door sprinkler system.