65 tbird replacement trunk liner kit

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jh94566

65 tbird replacement trunk liner kit

Post by jh94566 »

Bought a new, replacement trunk liner kit for my 65 tbird convertible. Got a box with a punch of puzzle pieces and no instructions. Called the vendor and was told that's how it is sold -- i.e., without instructions. Would anyone have a drawing or pictures for assembly of this puzzle? Thank you. Can email to jharding94566@gmail.com
tbird

Re: 65 tbird replacement trunk liner kit

Post by tbird »

John
Welcome to the forum you will find a lot of help here but would suggest that you consider purchasing any of the following list of books it will help you greatly in understanding and repairing/restoring your Thunderbird.

Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproduction)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborne Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to
members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as their were many changes made
from one model year to the other.
Most of the items should be available from your favourite Thunderbird
Supply house or directly from Osborne and will not cost you more than
125.00 plus shipping.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
franklin

Post by franklin »

Maybe a search for images of 1965 tbird trunk liner will help you? The problem Ihave seen with some of the books is lots of info, but not specific enough for what I need in many cases.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
snowcone

Post by snowcone »

Seems to be lots of slight variations on the market.
Here is an image I found for a 65.
and here is one for a 64
Both of these are different to mine
I just fitted a kit for my 64with no instructions and the pieces were slightly different too as well as not having a wheel cover.
Basically just lay out the bits in the right positions and make it all fit.
Gary
64 Burgundy Hardtop
Registry 35803
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Someone did a pretty poor job of putting the liner in the '64 pictured compared to the '65. Note how on the picture of the '65 the portion covering the rear of the wheel house is placed UNDER the cover that's over the flat shelf along side the quarter. This is starting to sound like a suggestion for someone to write up a How-to article for the Scoop on how to properly fit and install trunk liners.

The reproductions of the Body/Interior Assembly Manuals do show how the mats go in. They also show on other pages where underlayment goes. If you have a copy and pay attention, you'll notice that each of the pieces is given a number from 1 to 12 in the case of the '65 diagram: that's the order in which the pieces go in. The manual also shows locations where the liner is to be glued, clipped, pinned or screwed into the trunk.

For the record, the tire cover was only used on convertibles - closed cars (hardtops and Landaus) were not fitted with them from the factory. With the manufacturing of reproduction kits over the past 25 years, they've been included with some. And, as noted, the manufacturers are sorely lacking in developing instructions in how to install them. That's why tbird and I always say before you start tearing into your car, get all the manuals that are available as they are invaluable in terms of the information they have for many of the tasks you'll attempt to do, whether you realize it right now or not.

AND, if you haven't figured it out yet, material print patterns differed between each of the three years - '64 used a tweed-like pattern, '65 a herringbone, and '66 a mesh/weave, plus there's a fourth variation that late '65s-early '66s used using herringbone with slashes overprinted on it. That's all spelled out in VTCI's 1964-1966 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) manual.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
franklin

Post by franklin »

I apoligize for kind of hacking this thread. Alan, I have the shop manual, which doesnt spell out a lot of simple tasksl. Is the guide you mentioned more of a restoration guide vs. a how to for assy/dis assy? I think a lot of us get frustrated with buying manuals and still having simple kinds of questions. Thanks for your knowledge sharing.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
paulr

Post by paulr »

Alan H. Tast wrote:This is starting to sound like a suggestion for someone to write up a How-to article for the Scoop on how to properly fit and install trunk liners.
I nominate Alan H. Tast!

Couldn't resist.

I got a '64 set from ACC in November. The manuals were particularly useful in guiding the prepwork prior to adding the mats. Don't let's forget that Osborne books are not how-to books for backyard mechanics; it's a photocopy of assembly diagrams used in production among trained assembly pros back in the day. In the absence of any other graphics, it's great help! You do have to do a little cross-comparison of different graphics to get the complete picture, sometimes. I appreciate when Jim Mills always says get the whole set of books; each one contributes more info.

What is still a mystery to me is how exactly the Burtex mats are supposed to uh, cling...fasten...lay flat to the floors and corners. Mine are still just sitting loosely in place (except for the screwed-in boards). Does anyone know how these are supposed to stick?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Paul, if you read the instructions that are in the Body/Trim Assembly Manuals, you will find that they do mention the word "Adhesive" quite a bit when identifying individual pieces. The '65 and '66 manuals do a better job showing where to apply adhesive - look for the ID bubbles "F" and "G" on the '65 diagram, for instance.

The assembly manuals give a step-by-step procedure on how components are to be put together - that's why off to the side the descriptions start at "1" and go forward from there. Most people on the lines weren't highly-skilled - they were just very good at a few repetitive tasks. Engineers had to develop diagrams and instructions to guide the line workers on how to do their tasks. Until the mid-'90s, when these became available, many of us were floundering in the dark as to how things were put together. The shop manual, by its definition and use, is not intended to be an assembly manual - it's intended to walk people through repair procedures.

As for me writing the article, there's a reason why my title is Editor and not Writer. I rely on you all to submit material and then polish them for final viewing. And now with my employment situation getting back to normal, free time to do things like writing will become even more sparse.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
snowcone

Post by snowcone »

John, my car arrived from the USA with no trunk lining.
I knew this was the case so I ordered a Burtex kit to be shipped with car but unfortunately it came with no instructions.
I emptied the box on the ground and then shook my head at where all the bits went.
I am good at jigsaw puzzles but I need a picture to start with!
After I found a couple of images online I was able to lay all the bits in their positions and then after trial and error I worked out which ones had to go in first.
The finished job might not be concourse, but it looks a 1,000 times better than no lining at all so I am happy with it
Cheers
Gary
Gary
64 Burgundy Hardtop
Registry 35803
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
paulr

Post by paulr »

Alan,

I haven't got a 65/66 manual on hand. The 64 manual has a photocopy defect by which the extreme right margin of that diagram is distorted and not photographed. The part I want literally says "Note--covers, items 1, 2, 9, 10 and 11 are secured with (M--text blurred and drops out) ...adhesive. There's no other mention of adhesive. What's probably behind that blurred out part is a catalog number which probably doesn't reference any accessible item today, anyway. Furthermore, since the set cost around $150 (on sale), I'd prefer not to randomly select some adhesive only to end up with an irreversible mess. Hence, the question. I was only hoping for a tip to keep from ruining them.

Burtex is a unique material, and there are no practice parts. 3M double-sided mounting tape seems like a good choice, but it is so powerful I think it would destroy the Burtex if you ever tried to move or remove a piece.

Hopefully, I made it clear the manuals are helpful.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbird

Post by tbird »

Paul
I use double sided tape for these type of applications it is a little more forgiving that contact type adhesives if you should need to lift the mat in the future, only use 2 or 3 " pieces where needed and lay your mats in the trunk and leave them for about a week before doing the actual installation it will help with getting a nice job.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I used the 'teeth' part of some stick-down velcro in the trunk, it holds the burtex great and you can pull the mats up if you need to clean them. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
SBird

Post by SBird »

I posted several pics on July 17, 2014. They may help, look closely for the seams, no instructions were included.
Good luck
I'll get er done with patience and a lot of help. Thanks Forum guys.
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

redstangbob wrote:I used the 'teeth' part of some stick-down velcro in the trunk, it holds the burtex great and you can pull the mats up if you need to clean them. JMO Bob C
That is a great idea! I wish I had thought of it, or at least this had been posted before I permanently glued mine down with 3M spray adhesive! :cool:
Jim Porter

Post by Jim Porter »

Hi - Everybody - I am trying to put a liner kit in my 1965 convertible and I am stuck on a few pieces. John or anyone else can you post pictures of your completed project?
Thanks