Rust removal experiments

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

redstangbob

Re: Rust removal experiments

Post by redstangbob »

Needle scalers work good on heavy/flaked parts like frames and wheels. I bought one when I did a lot of stick welding, they were the ticket for removing flux. The Chinese store has cheap ones give it a try, but some things need abrasive blasting to get them really clean. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

Yeah, I see princess auto has one coming up on sale for $30 or $40, cheap enough to give it a try...
Klaus
1965 Thunderbird - Grinding is penance for bad welds!
VTIC member #12304
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

good tool for heavy scale or stick weld flux but with too much air pressure will dent/damage thinner steel. Use with caution on automotive parts. (wear ear & eye protection!!!)
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

Hey I'm new here an also have some intense rust on my 64. I was debating taking it to a shop. My trunk is Swiss cheese and my floor panels have seen better days. What could I do about those pieces I can't fit in a bath? I'll post pics later this week.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Ninjitsu Nick wrote:Hey I'm new here an also have some intense rust on my 64. I was debating taking it to a shop. My trunk is Swiss cheese and my floor panels have seen better days. What could I do about those pieces I can't fit in a bath? I'll post pics later this week.
Hi and welcome. Sounds like a project for you; seeing the pictures will help a lot. I'd like to recommend you start a fresh thread for yourself on the trunk/floor issues.

A friend of mine made a project out of replacing rusted floor pans in his car. Here's a post from his blog--you can read further about his progress through completion. http://thunderbird.seebart.org/archives/812 Just for your information bank.

Some people have replaced the entire trunk by welding in new panels. You might check out Bird Nest or Mac's or one of the many Tbird suppliers for panels. Salvage yard trunks are rarely worth the trouble. Good luck,
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

May as well respond since i didn't follow up...

Needle scaler would probably be fine on thicker metal like frame and rims, but not good on sheet metal. I also wrapped the bottom of my trunk with poly, supported it by pushing sheet of drywall up against it from underneath, and filling with vinegar. It actually work pretty decent, but at the end of the day, my trunk was swiss cheese as well, and there's no salvaging that.

I bought myself a couple of sheets of sheet metal, cut out the cheese, started cutting/shaping metal to weld in and replace the floors (and side shelves) of the trunk, bought myself a welder and went to work. I couldn't justify dropping a grand on replacement panels for a trunk floor, especially when it only cost me probably $40 in sheet metal. I'll see if i can upload some pics...
Klaus
VTIC member #12304
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

Just remembered, i did already post pictures! Here's a link to that post:

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =15#p72583
Klaus
VTIC member #12304
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Krubba wrote:I bought myself a couple of sheets of sheet metal, cut out the cheese, started cutting/shaping metal to weld in and replace the floors (and side shelves) of the trunk, bought myself a welder and went to work. I couldn't justify dropping a grand on replacement panels for a trunk floor, especially when it only cost me probably $40 in sheet metal. I'll see if i can upload some pics...
Klaus, you make it sound so easy!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

~Steve
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

Hehe, I supposed i did make it sound easy. For me the hardest part was learning to weld. The rest wasn't terribly difficult, but it was time consuming! I probably spent something like 35-40 hours in the trunk, and my body felt it every day!
Klaus
VTIC member #12304
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

paulr wrote:
Ninjitsu Nick wrote:Hey I'm new here an also have some intense rust on my 64. I was debating taking it to a shop. My trunk is Swiss cheese and my floor panels have seen better days. What could I do about those pieces I can't fit in a bath? I'll post pics later this week.
Hi and welcome. Sounds like a project for you; seeing the pictures will help a lot. I'd like to recommend you start a fresh thread for yourself on the trunk/floor issues.

A friend of mine made a project out of replacing rusted floor pans in his car. Here's a post from his blog--you can read further about his progress through completion. http://thunderbird.seebart.org/archives/812 Just for your information bank.

Some people have replaced the entire trunk by welding in new panels. You might check out Bird Nest or Mac's or one of the many Tbird suppliers for panels. Salvage yard trunks are rarely worth the trouble. Good luck,
Thanks for the reply. I think I will start a new thread with pics. There is lots more for my bird to get updated.