Anyone replaced their convertible top?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

thetonester

Anyone replaced their convertible top?

Post by thetonester »

Yes I searched :)...my top is looking a little sad...all the hydraulics and electrics were replaced by a PO right before I bought it but they didn't do the top...why? anyway..

Is it a job someone can do in their garage or is it far too complex and requiring special tools...as always, all help appreciated
All help remembered and appreciated
BrianC

Re: Anyone replaced their convertible top?

Post by BrianC »

I had mine done by a local shop after I got it painted. There is too much of a learning curve (for me at least) to warrant going through all the trial and error needed to make one fit right. You may not save any money DIY if you wreck something, scratch paint or have to keep re-doing it. For my $$$---farm it out, unless you have some previous experience doing a top.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

I did my '65 myself since I had nobody within a reasonable distance to take it to. Although there are some areas I'm sure I could improve on if I had to do it again, I am glad I gained the experience and will soon be installing a new top on my '62. The key is to take your time and be prepared to do it twice! But seriously, there is not too much to it actually if you take it step by step. A pneumatic stapler is helpful, and it helps to have a quality top to start with, although since this is your first attempt you may want to invest in the cheapest top possible! :oops: There are some good instructions here which I found very helpful: http://www.reocities.com/tpls63/repairs ... eight.html There are also many good videos on youtube. My advise: If you have the time and patience, and some basic DIY skills, go for it!
VTCI #4244
1962 T-bird Convertible...DONE & SOLD!
1965 T-bird Convertible...DONE!
1959 Ford Retractable...owned 38 years
2005 Mustang GT Conv...supercharged by Ford!
thetonester

Post by thetonester »

Thanks for the advice guys...Bugger me!...I didn't realize it all came in bits and had to be stuck together. In Australia
there isn't a lot of option for people to fit them as convertibles never really appeared here much outside of imported exotics,
whereas you stateside guys had them all over the place...So people with long term experience are scarce. I prefer old school
guys to work on my car if I MUST farm anything out. Ive had 1 quote of $1400...if I supply the top...In light of it being so complex,
and with funds tight with Christmas approaching, I will put it back on the wish list for next year. What would you guys
over there pay to have one fitted, just curious more than anything...thanks again guys
All help remembered and appreciated
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I had my top done by a local company 2 years ago and they charged me $400.00 for labor. I supplied all the parts and they had the car for 2 weeks.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
tb65m66

Post by tb65m66 »

I've not done the 'Bird yet, but the '66 Mustang top ran $1200 two years ago. That was a Robins top provided and installed by a local shop in San Antonio.
Branch
65 Convert.
Peddller

Post by Peddller »

I had mine done on my 65, $1300 included the top. My guy insisted on using Electron out of New York, I was very pleased. I think there are wide degrees of job quality from one shop to the next so I would get some references. Peddler
Bill Clark
Bel Air, Maryland
1957 F code
2005 50th anniversary
1963 Avanti R2
1956 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo
Prior Birds
1963 M code SR
1964 Convertable
1965 convertible
Randy Mattson

Post by Randy Mattson »

I had mine replaced at a local (20 miles away) shop that I was referred to by my local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer (who's a friend of mine).
The dealer used this shop to put the vinyl tops on Buicks, turning them into what I call "pimpmobiles".
I don't remember the price (it was reasonable) and I have been very happy with their work.
The top still looks good after 15+ years.
Find a dealer that still sells cars with these custom tops and ask where they have that done.
Good luck!
Randy Mattson
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin