Runnin' with the "Big Dogs"

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

mnpetri

Runnin' with the "Big Dogs"

Post by mnpetri » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:56 pm

We took our '65 and made the trip to Gettysburg [PA] a couple of weekends ago for the Shelby Club's "Northeast Regional" Event and Tour. We had a great day.
The tours have been a highlight of these gatherings - a nice change of pace from standing in a parking lot looking at cars as we do at most shows. Set in rural areas of central PA and featuring uncrowded backroads, fall foliage, and Ford V8s, we've enjoyed some great rides.
We've attended this meet for the last 4 years with our Tiger, and decided to change it up this year. I had some concerns about the rapid pace on twisty back roads that we had experienced in prior years, but this year the driving seemed slightly more subdued... or at least there weren't as many sharp curves(?). In any case, we were able to stay with the pack of "Big Dogs" without any trouble.
I was pleased to get quite a few nice comments about our 'Bird from other attendees as well as regular folks at the hotel.
Finally... the "reason" for posting...
I was taking the cover off of the car one of the mornings at the hotel, and an M-B suv that had been passing thru that area of the parking stops - as if they are watching me. Now, remember I'm working with an old Thunderbird in the midst of a bunch of very nice/high end Shelby [and other special] Mustangs.
As I finish removing the cover, the lady rolls her passenger window down and says. "you know, you're unwrapping my husband's Kryptonite". Apparently he had a Flairbird at one time and still misses it. Like the Mastercard ad says... "Priceless" :8:
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger

BrianC

Re: Runnin' with the "Big Dogs"

Post by BrianC » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 am

The emberglo looks great Mike...Last time I stopped by your house with my '66 ragtop a couple years ago, I got to see it and the Sunbeam among others. IIRC you were going to get some mechanical work done on the Emberglo by Pat Wilson(?). Looks like everything worked out good!
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.

franklin

Post by franklin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:10 am

Thats great!! Now to make people cringe a bit. Im was just watching a show about resto corvettes, basically an old vette body on a new chassis. I was thinking how funny that could be to have a newer high performance mustang chassis under a bird with about 500 hp and the handling package. That would bring some raised eyebrows!!
1966 town hardtop 390 z code

mnpetri

Post by mnpetri » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:07 pm

BrianC wrote:The emberglo looks great Mark...Last time I stopped by your house with my '66 ragtop a couple years ago, I got to see it and the Sunbeam among others. IIRC you were going to get some mechanical work done on the Emberglo by Pat Wilson(?). Looks like everything worked out good!
Thanks Brian.
Yes, Pat Wilson's caught me up a bunch of stuff that needed attention last year (2013)... still have a couple of unresolved problems, but they are not keeping us off the road :smile:
Did you decide to keep your 'vert then?

mnpetri

Post by mnpetri » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:09 pm

franklin wrote:Thats great!! Now to make people cringe a bit. Im was just watching a show about resto corvettes, basically an old vette body on a new chassis. I was thinking how funny that could be to have a newer high performance mustang chassis under a bird with about 500 hp and the handling package. That would bring some raised eyebrows!!
I think that a pro-touring type Thunderbird sounds like fun, just not sure how to beat the inherent weight issue :?: ... might need more than 500 hp :shock:

franklin

Post by franklin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Oh yeah,,I keep forgetting about that extra 1000 lbs. Hopefully I wont find out by pushing it someday,,,
1966 town hardtop 390 z code