Performance questions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

60fore

Re: Performance questions

Post by 60fore »

For '64 the 390 was rated at 300 hp. In '66 compression was increased about half a point and power rating rose to 315 hp.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Timing is critical for off-the-line throttle response. Give it all it can stand without pinging - probably the best you'll be able to do is 8 to 10 degrees but you may have to live with as little as 6.
Also a properly sized carb makes a huge difference. A severely over-sized carb (which I suspect you have) kills throttle response as well.
I recommend one that is right at about 600 CFM if you go aftermarket.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Phil105

Post by Phil105 »

After you try all the above - - you're still not gonna have a rubber burner. Trade your tbird and get a Mustang. If you can't get it to burn rubber, THEN you'll have something to worry about!!
:drinking:
The more I learn about people, the better I like my dog. Mark Twain
tbird

Post by tbird »

These cars did come with a 3:00 rear as standard they are not hotrods and not intended to be, just nice cruisers.
I might add that a 3:55 will do a lot for gas milage but it would burn a lot more.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

They're not off the line racers for sure but they are no slouch at say 70 mph. I was a kid with mine in the late 70's and I would goad would-be racers up to that speed on the freeway and then dump the throttle. I don't remember ever losing under those conditions. (Jeez I was stupid and reckless)
The stock engine would really set you back in the seat with all that compression and some ethyl in the tank. Of course it helps that so called muscle cars of that era were pathetic. :mrgreen:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Jaylan_Bates

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

A little advice from me. I have 390 with a holley 670 carb. A pertronix igniter iii with the the matching coil. 3.25 gears in the rear with a standard posi traction and a shift kit in the tranny put in by the p.o. burns rubber from first and second gear from a stop and coasting. Not sure if this has been said already but my mechanic told me that you distrubutor needs to be run off manifold vacuum if you have a automatic tranny. Ported is for manual.there was a huge power difference afterwards. All of these "you're not going to burn rubber" comments....NOT TRUE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... oSG7tSNMrA
Last edited by Jaylan_Bates on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1966 T-Bird hrdtp
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Good video! I bet Jim Wulf does this too. :shock:
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Phil105

Post by Phil105 »

Jaylan_Bates wrote:A little advice from me. I have 390 with a holley 670 carb. A pertronix igniter iii with the the matching coil. 3.25 gears in the rear with a standard posi traction and a shift kit in the tranny put in by the p.o. burns rubber from first and second gear from a stop and coasting. Not sure if this has been said already but my mechanic told me that you distrubutor needs to be run off manifold vacuum if you have a automatic tranny. Ported is for manual.there was a huge power difference afterwards. All of these "you're not going to burn rubber". comments are irrelevant. Heres my proof.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... oSG7tSNMrA

Well, this is SURELY NOT THE NORM!! Kinda like the fat guy winning the foot race! :badgrin:
The more I learn about people, the better I like my dog. Mark Twain
Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Interesting video. Guy's license plate says "Q CODE" so I guess he has the 428. Thanks for the tip about the vacuum advance hose. Mine is connected to the carb right now, which is what I think you mean by "ported"? Where can the hose be hooked up to get manifold vacuum? What does the shift kit do? I ordered a used rebuilt carb off eBay for $166. I hope to try it out soon. Thanks to all, lots of great responses!
1964 Hardtop, black with red interior.

You know that saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, I think that's stupid because I bet a cold iron would hurt like hell, too.
Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Just to clarify, I used improper terminology before when I said I have tall gears in the rear end. I have the opposite. I had to replace my speedo gear with a 20 tooth gear even though I have what I think are stock size tires. The speedo read something like 10-12 mph high until I did this. To me that says I have diff gears of a higher number than stock, which is supposed to mean easier acceleration, right? Anybody have any idea what my diff ratio might be?

You know that saying "strike while the iron is hot"? Well, I think that's stupid because I bet a cold iron would hurt like hell, too.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

boaterbob wrote: 4100 is a great carb and easy to rebuild if you find a nice core.
True, but you can get equally good performance out of the Holley. Unless the PO kept a lot of parts for you, switching back to stock will require new fuel line routing, throttle linkage, choke tubes and maybe an air cleaner assembly.

I'd rebuild the Holley first.

~Steve
Jaylan_Bates

Post by Jaylan_Bates »

The shift kit modifies shift time to reduce "overlap" (when the tranny is in two gears at once) and over revving of the engine when shifting between gears.
1966 T-Bird hrdtp
franklin

Post by franklin »

Jetbird wrote:Just to clarify, I used improper terminology before when I said I have tall gears in the rear end. I have the opposite. I had to replace my speedo gear with a 20 tooth gear even though I have what I think are stock size tires. The speedo read something like 10-12 mph high until I did this. To me that says I have diff gears of a higher number than stock, which is supposed to mean easier acceleration, right? Anybody have any idea what my diff ratio might be?
Get all the info from your data plate located on the drivers door near the latch mechanism. Write down all the numbers and letters and do a search for data plate decoder. It has lots of info about your car.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
Jetbird

Post by Jetbird »

Got my rebuilt used autolite 4100 yesterday. Looks like it should be a simple install. I think the throttle rod might be fine as is. I currently have electric choke on the Holley, may be able to just hook that up to the 4100. I don't have proper choke plumbing in place, my choke tubing broke off at the manifold plate so a block-off plate is installed at the manifold. The carb I got includes the dashpot and original style auto choke and heat shield. I will try tapping the vacuum advance into the main vacuum port and see how this helps performance, as suggested. My air cleaner is original as far as I can tell, so I think it will fit. Anything else to watch out for as I attempt this?

edpol

Post by edpol »

Holley electric chokes can be installed on the 4100 - did it many times. Both Holley and Ford used basically the same choke housings.
I would advise using a heat sensor with the electric choke. Simple installation, just install it under an intake manifold bolt, and hook the wire to the electric choke ground terminal.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/45-267 ... tId=743714