Gas fumes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rheckman

Gas fumes

Post by rheckman »

I just started smelling a gas fume smell from my 65.
Never had it before,not leaking anywhere and running fine.
But I did just fill the tank,and when I got it home there was a little gas in the
Bulkhead area where the filler neck is.
Anyone else experience this?
....bob
flyinthermals

Re: Gas fumes

Post by flyinthermals »

I'm not sure If you have the the same access panel in the trunk as I have on my 62. The rubber gasket is known to fail at the fuel sending unit. The fumes get strong when the tank is full. Open your trunk and lift up the fabric to gain access to the panel. It should be visable under the spare tire. I think one screw holds it down. There could be sealent holding it down as well If it has not been opened for a long time. That gasket can be purchased from the T-bird suppliers. The sending unit itself may have failed as well. Use the search tab and you will see many threads of this subject.
tbird

Post by tbird »

The 64/66 gas tank, filler and fuel gauge has nothing in common with the 61/63 system other than they both have gas in them.

If your tank is still full check under the car to make sure that the gauge, filler pipe and tank its self do not have any leaks.

There is also a drain hose that runs from the filler compartment through the quarter panel into the trunk behind trim board and then comes out a rubber fitting in the inner rear wheel house extension panel this drain house may be rotten or pulled out of the outlet fitting.

Check the gasket on you fuel cap to make sure it is sealing have seen fuel run out of the fillers into the drain on right turns with a full tank, had this issue with my 65 when I first bought it back in the 90's.

The outlet hose is perfectly place to end right next to the muffler another good concept.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

Jim,
What your describing on right turns with full tank seems to fit my situation.
There are no visible leaks underneath,and I pulled the cap off and replaced.
Cap was a repro and the rubber was curled a little bit.
What side of the car is that drain tube accessible from?
Thanks,
Bob H
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I had my filled recently and smelled strong fumes on the way home. The well inside the filler area was wet with gas. The attendant must have shot some into that area at the end of the fill. I wiped out that area, and made sure the drain line was open. It went away once evaporated. For some reason any gas fumes in that area tend to go into the passenger compartment fairly easily on these cars.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
tbird

Post by tbird »

The drain hose is run down the interior of the left quarter it may not even exist after so many years. If you check inside the filler you will see the drain under and to the rear of the filler neck, remove the trunk left interior trim board to access the drain hose that runs behind it the bottom end should pass through the rubber grommet to the underside of the car.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

The hose is in tact. I made sure it's clear thru.
After replacing the cap I took a ride and all is good.
I believe it was just the cap gasket.
There was some gas in the fill area when I checked initially and it certainly does come right in the cabin.
Thanks all for your help :)
Bob
Randy Mattson

Post by Randy Mattson »

Another thing to check, and I've had this problem with 2 1965s, is the O-ring on the filler pipe.

Randy Mattson
SBird

Post by SBird »

Had a similar issue and replacing the cap got rid of the smell. I really didn't expect it to work since my old cap looked worn but all there. But it did!
I'll get er done with patience and a lot of help. Thanks Forum guys.
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

BrianC wrote:I had my filled recently and smelled strong fumes on the way home. The well inside the filler area was wet with gas. The attendant must have shot some into that area at the end of the fill. I wiped out that area, and made sure the drain line was open. It went away once evaporated. For some reason any gas fumes in that area tend to go into the passenger compartment fairly easily on these cars.

Brian, where on gods green earth have you run into an attendant pumping gas. Do they still pop the hood and check the oil and wipe the windows too. I have not seen one of those guys since the mid eighties in the Chicago area.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

My '66 used ot do that - a big sluice of gas on the right-hand turns.

On checking things it seems like somebody in th epast has forced off the gas cap - possibly a locking one.

It left the sealing surface distorted and not sealing..

Some JB Weld and block-sanding made it all good, no problem now! :mrgreen:
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic