Balljoint removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Ryan Daum

Balljoint removal

Post by Ryan Daum »

Hi all
Replacing front ball joints in my car at the moment, tie rod ends all fine, but the upper and lower left ball joints are proving to want to remain set.

I have tried heating,pickle fork,internal press,and two hammer method..Anyone have any ideas? I searched but it is not returning anything at all which must be due to the upgrade or something.
redbird1

Re: Balljoint removal

Post by redbird1 »

The ball joints are riveted in(3) (unless they are replacement joints, then they would be bolted, again, 3 of them.)
Best way is to remove the arm with joint attached,then put the arm in a vice and chisel off the rivets.
If it's bolts, just take the nut off, and your pickle fork should be enough to free the joints.

Bob
Ryan Daum

Re: Balljoint removal

Post by Ryan Daum »

Hi there,the issue was the taper in to the hubs.i think based on the condition of the removed balljoints they were original as there is almost nothing holding them together now they're removed.the top balljoints are pressed not riveted and the lower is now removed with rivets ground out :) think they had just been in there so long they were resistant to coming out