Mystery Relay

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tbird

Re: Mystery Relay

Post by tbird »

Looks like this relay is actually a choke as previously noted for suppression of ignition noise and must have been dealer installed from a letter or service bulletin from Ford, my guess may be related to Electronic Ignition equipped cars only which was only offered in 64/65.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

tbird wrote:Looks like this relay is actually a choke as previously noted for suppression of ignition noise and must have been dealer installed from a letter or service bulletin from Ford, my guess may be related to Electronic Ignition equipped cars only which was only offered in 64/65.
Jim - I can't say I've run across any TSBs for this item, but then again I haven't looked at a TSB index from the period lately (too deep into working on 61-63 OFS since I can't find a job other than selling shoes or flipping burgers - so much for that Master's Degree in Architecture and 25+ years' of experience). What's really baffling is that the part number for the coil (or whatever the heck it's called) does not show up in Ford or Lincoln-Mercury parts books that others and I have gone through. I'm inclined to think factory installation, but again we're stumped as to application. Keep digging.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
dan468

Post by dan468 »

This relay is believed to act like a "snubber". When the low fuel light relay closes it can increase the voltage in the circuit due to induction. This 2nd relay (not being used as a relay) should absorb the extra voltage in the coil so the fuel circuit is protected. I think this is due to the ground being exposed in gas fumes in the tank. The Lincoln Continentals have the same set up. This may not be a relay at all but a resistor considering it doesn't switch anything.

I would not remove this relay
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have my low fuel light stuck on so I pulled the relay for it, the one near the fuse panel.My fuel gauge works and is accurate.. Could there be any other issues leaving it out until I find the problem? I am hoping it is just the relay itself needing to be replaced..
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157