Power Seat Troubles.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

65SpecialLandau

Power Seat Troubles.

Post by 65SpecialLandau »

My power seat has quit working. I have tested the motor and it works fine. When I press the button I hear clicking and sometimes it will move, sometimes not. The clicking is coming from these silver boxes that I'm guessing are some kind of relay. I can't find any information on how to repair this or even what this part is called. Please help!! I can't drive my 'bird because of this situation.

Thanks
Last edited by 65SpecialLandau on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Thunderbird Special Landau
VTCI #12177
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Hi,

The tech page has some information: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... php?t=9243

It's for a '62, but it's similar.

I had the same problem (clicking noise), so I took everything apart (relays, solenoids, even the motors) and cleaned away decades of dirt, hair, and fuzz (compressed air helps). I also greased the tracks and moving parts. I discovered that the magnets inside the passenger-side motor were broken. I pieced them together with super glue. When I finished, both seats work like new.

Good luck.
65SpecialLandau

Thanks! Source for new relays?

I appreciate the help. Thanks for the link. Its especially nice to have some pics to go by. I'd really like to buy new "solenoids/relays". I've already taken one apart but it was really difficult to get back together with the little microscopic spring and getting the magnet back into position. I'm not sure that it settled back to where it needed to be once I put it all back together. After all of that, it's still clicking....I didn't do any good.
VTCI #12177
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

Are you attempting to adjust the seat, while you are sitting in it? I have found that the old motor and solenoids work much better, when you make adjustments without your weight on the seat. I realize that they are designed to move the seat and the weight of the driver, but over time they literally can't handle the load. This is inconvenient, adjusting the seat, from next to the car, then hopping back into the seat and trying out the fit, then back and forth, but that is how I did it, to save my 50 year old motor!
65SpecialLandau

Good advice! Id rather hop in and out and have it work than to sit in it and it not work. I'll try that if I ever get it back to working. Lol

Right now all that it's doing is clicking period! It doesn't matter if you are sitting in it or not.
VTCI #12177
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

Sometimes holding the switch and actually pushing on the seat, in the direction you are attempting to move it, helps. Essentially using your own strength as a power assist! lol Temporary quick-fix only, but at least you may be able to get the seat into a comfortable driving position and then forget about it!
65SpecialLandau

Ha! Yep that's one way to do it. Just got to get it move first. Lol I've already taken it out and am in the process of disassembling the relays. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice
VTCI #12177
65SpecialLandau

Re: Power Seat Troubles.

Update: Cleaned the relays and replaced the switch. Seat works perfect now. Thanks for the input everyone.
VTCI #12177
Ramos291

Re: Power Seat Troubles.

Post by Ramos291 »

Is there a source for the seat switches or relays? The housing on one of the switches has broken and is missing the broken piece so I cant glue it back.