Introduction - My 1966 Town Landau

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Ragtop429

Introduction - My 1966 Town Landau

Post by Ragtop429 »

Howdy All,

My name is Steve and I joined the forum a few months back when I acquired my 1966 Town Landau. I am a long time fan of 60's through early 70's Fords. My previous toy was a 1971 LTD Convertible with the 429/4bbl. Also owned a handful of 67-72 F-series pickups over the years.

The Thunderbird is a run of the mill Town Landau, but still a pretty nice car for it's age.

Diamond Blue Exterior
Blue/White Interior
390/4bbl
Cruise-o-Matic (VIN Code 8)
A/C (Modern Sanden compressor, but still running R12)
Power Driver Seat
Power Windows/Steering/Brakes
Vacuum Door Locks
AM Radio (Front speaker only)
Overhead Safety Console
Swing-Away Steering Column
Sequential Turn Signals (Working!)

The odometer shows 39k miles, but it could be 139k miles. The body and interior favor a true low mileage reading, but the valve covers, surge tank, and air cleaner have been repainted, so I'm not sure if the engine has been rebuilt due to high mileage or just freshened up due to old age. It still has all of the typical Ford fluid leaks - power steering dribble, timing cover oil leaks, Valve covers. Also a leak on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Still sporting the original exhaust system.

Everything is in good working order with the exception of the original AM radio. I have installed a Pertronix Ignitor in the distributor. Heater core has been replaced. A/C works well with a modern Sanden SD-508 compressor and new expansion valve. Modern electronic voltage regulator and rebuilt alternator.

It has it's share of small bumps and bruises that are commensurate with age, but still a beautiful car and unlike anything modern on the road today!

Here are a few photos:

paulr

Re: Introduction - My 1966 Town Landau

Post by paulr »

Nice, what a looker. I'd drive down to San Fran for lunch in that car!

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nice Beautiful Car!!! It's hard to judge with pics, but the interior looks pretty original to me (if it is, it may have the build sheet still there behind the rear seats). An original interior would prove the low mileage #, since most driver seats and carpet and door skins don't hold up well by the time they hit 100k. Looks nice and straight. Good luck!
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Ragtop429

Re: Introduction - My 1966 Town Landau - - Lots of Pictures

Post by Ragtop429 »

Thanks for the nice words.

I feel that the interior is 100% correct and original. There are just enough signs of wear throughout to indicate 48 years of age and light use. The fit and finish is also very similar to the way my other old Fords were done. I am attaching some detail shots of the seats and carpeted areas. Along with the door panels and trunk. I have yet to detail the door jambs, so they are dusty and cruddy. Also, the passenger side front carpet is ruined from where the original heater core leaked under the floor mat! Very sad. Driver side looks more dirty in the pictures than it actually shows in real life.

Over all the car has stone chips, little nicks, and swirls/scratches in the paint that are visible up close, but don't distract you from the overall beauty of original paint. There are no signs of body work or painting with the exception of the front/center of the hood, where it was bumped at some point and then painted over in just that one spot.

When the weather turns cooler I will remove the back seat and look for the build sheet.

The car was sold new in Dallas and I am the third owner. Previous owner is a long time elderly friend that bought the car in 2001, but never really drove it, just stored it away. I have a bit of paperwork from him and most of the important mechanical things have already been addressed. In 2005 the fuel tank was removed and cleaned, reinstalled along with a new sending unit. New fuel pump. Carburetor was cleaned and kitted. The surge tank was removed and soldered to fix a pinhole leak. New heater hoses, heater core, and radiator hoses were installed. New rubber brake lines were installed. Front end was inspected and deemed safe and serviceable.

I myself have changed the oil and filter, new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/Pertronix. Still running original ignition coil dated '65. I installed a new waterpump, thermostat, and flushed the block and radiator. All was clean, but old. I didn't want to take any chances on cooling since the car is in Texas and I have air conditioning. I was also worried about the corrosion protection and wanted fresh, antifreeze in there. Flushed brake fluid and inspected brakes and bearings. I still need to check out the rear end and change oil the gear oil due to age. I will be adding an external transmission cooler and I will eventually upgrade to a dual master brake cylinder for safety sake.

Speaking of A/C, the previous owner had the modern compressor installed and system was charged with R12, but would not cool. I found that the low side was in a vacuum and the high side was nearing 300+. Yikes! I replaced the expansion valve and that solved the problem. Also installed a new receiver/dryer before I vacuumed and recharged with R12. Frosty cold air now!

AM radio is getting power and will "pop" when turned on, as well as crackle a slight bit when adjusting the volume, but absolutely NO tuning at all. I intend to do the Aurora Designs FMR-1 conversion when I can justify the cost. Once that is done I will add in 4x8 speakers in the doors hidden under original grilles. I want modern music, but absolutely positively will NOT modify the dash since it is so beautiful.

Anyhow, enough rambling for now!

-Steve

BrianC wrote:Nice Beautiful Car!!! It's hard to judge with pics, but the interior looks pretty original to me (if it is, it may have the build sheet still there behind the rear seats). An original interior would prove the low mileage #, since most driver seats and carpet and door skins don't hold up well by the time they hit 100k. Looks nice and straight. Good luck!
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Hi Steve,
I this was my car I don't think I would be changing much of anything (ie going to a dual master cyl.)on this car, it looks great for being original and just might do very well in the authenticity class at the next regional.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Ragtop429

Post by Ragtop429 »

Well, there have already been a handful of mechanical things changed out from stock/original that a few more for safety's sake won't hurt much. ;-) But cosmetically I am going to keep it original and correct as possible. The pictures make the body look much more pristine than it really shows in person. And the engine bay is pretty cruddy... it is a Ford after all. ::?

This car is a driver. I fully believe that classic cars NEED to be driven to be thoroughly enjoyed. Standing back and looking at a pretty car locked away in a garage is only half of the enjoyment of owning a classic. I drive it near daily around my town just because it's so fun. It's basically modern enough to handle and perform like any other modern vehicle. Good brakes. Good lighting. Reliable starting and running. Enough power to keep up with modern traffic speeds. So why not!? I'm going to live only live once and I can't take it with me!

A friend of mine that passed away a couple of years back had 40-41-42 Packards. He was fortunate enough to have the means to totally restore many beautiful and rare Packards. But he didn't restore them just to keep them locked away! He would drive them here, there, even cross country, and enjoy every minute of the trips without worry of what may happen to the cars. THAT is what the classic car hobby is to me. The full motoring experience! I am so envious of that.

-Steve

kevindeluca66 wrote:Hi Steve,
I this was my car I don't think I would be changing much of anything (ie going to a dual master cyl.)on this car, it looks great for being original and just might do very well in the authenticity class at the next regional.
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Beautiful looking car Steve, wanna sell her? :smile: Just kidding, enjoy every minute driving her.

Ozzy
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

Great looking Bird! Looks to be an early production 66 since it has the 65 trunk liner, mine had the same.
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
scumdog

Post by scumdog »

I can't see the pics - all I get is a blue triangle with an excalamation mark in th emiddle - can anybody help???
Kiwi Thunderbirder
'66 Town Landau
'55 F100
'37 Ford coupe
'64 Anglia
'05 Ultraglide Classic
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Same here, no pics only a blue screen. BUT all the comments are positive so it must be great! Cant wait to see it.
Ragtop429

Post by Ragtop429 »

Something happened to the Google/Picasa account I was using to host the images. UGGH.

So no pictures for the time being. Just imagine a stock run of the mill Diamond Blue Town Landau. lol

-Steve
scumdog wrote:I can't see the pics - all I get is a blue triangle with an excalamation mark in th emiddle - can anybody help???