Jack

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

tbird5866

Jack handle

Post by tbird5866 »

I've seen many jack handles with the rubber on them. My thought was that it protected the wheel cover when the jack handle was used to replace the wheel cover..
daddys_63

Post by daddys_63 »

ABQTBird wrote:Here are some pictures:

Storage:

Mechanism: note jack arm is reversible for front and rear.

Base mount in trunk:
Thanks very much! Now I know what I'm looking for!
daddys_63

Post by daddys_63 »

ABQTBird wrote:Here are some pictures:

Storage:

Mechanism: note jack arm is reversible for front and rear.

Base mount in trunk:

Thanks very much! Now I know what to look for! :mrgreen:
daddys_63

Post by daddys_63 »

Jim Wulf wrote:
Tom here is how the jack is stowed on my '62 - this jives with the jack instruction decal, and my jack has probably never been used:
Gary,

Interestingly enough, there are two different configurations for the jack stowage, depending on which piece of literature you look at. In the configuration shown on the trunk sticker, the socket of the handle is actually supposed to engage the small "L" shaped sheet metal tab along the lower edge of the trunk floor, and the jacking mechanism is stowed in front of the rear shelf bracket, with the post laying on the bracket.

In the configuration shown in the '63 owners manual, the handle is stowed completely on the top of the hook, socket not engaged, and the jacking mechanism lays on top of the rear shelf bracket.

I've chosen to mount mine using the first method as shown on the trunk sticker, as that seems the most stable to me and I like the idea of using the dedicated tab mount for the handle that Ford designed into the trunk.

Your configuration is most like the owners manual, with the exception of the handle position which is unlike either configuration above.

There may be yet another, different picture of this somewhere, but I don't recall where if there is. And, I don't have a '62 owners manual, so that may be different yet. Alan would know for sure.

I can just see the look on Texas Tom's face right now... :roll:

Thanks very much! Now I know what to look for! :mrgreen:
nbaum

jack

Post by nbaum »

The 62 Landau I owned in the late 60's (had 28,000 miles on it when i bought it) did not have any hose on the jack handle. The jack would rattle on occasion and need to be adjusted. The other thing that would rattle on occasion was the spare tire. If the spare got low on air the jack base plate would become loose and rattle. I always knew when I needed to check my spare for air pressure.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I apologize for posting the picture of the incorrect storage. I didn't mean for it to be correct, I just wanted the OP to see where it went.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Thanks for the clarification on that Jim , Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Thanks very much! Now I know what I'm looking for!
Yes, you're welcome. I should never have posted the storage picture. Now I feel like an idiot. That jack had not been removed since I bought the car in 2001. It's not a "concours car" and I don't have the sticker so I didn't know it was "incorrectly stored". Oh well, now I know how to put it back correctly.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

Who said that us T'Birders; "Don't know jacksh!t"!!!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Tom
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

[/quote]
Yep, that's where I saw the other configuration! Found a picture of my SR jack setup. The post mechanism is on top of the bracket and the hook is positioned more towards the rear in order to accomodate the jack base. I'll need to remember to remove the rubber piece on the handle before Alan spots it in Charleston... ;-)
Image[/quote]

Jim, this might be a dumb question but what holds down your spare when the jack base is stowed with the jack?

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Jim, this might be a dumb question but what holds down your spare when the jack base is stowed with the jack?Ozzy :smile:
Not dumb at all - the hub on a wire wheel requires a different type of hold down - the jack base just doesn't fit. Ford used a special disc instead that would fit inside the hub and was fixed to the threaded hold down screw/handle thingy.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Thanks Jim, top class photo as always.

I just love those KH wire wheels, so much so, I have a set on the way over to me now (which should have been here months ago in time for our cruisin' season but there was a shipping problem :sad: ) but I didn't know there was a different clamp for the wire wheels so I guess i'll be ordering one from one of the T'bird parts houses.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.