Headliner '62

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Steverino

Re: Headliner '62

Post by Steverino »

Hi Gagarin - looks like you are well on your way. Dynamat is good stuff! My factory insulation is all in good shape, so while it's probably not as effective as options like Dynamat, I will probably just leave it alone.

I got delayed by a failed ignition switch which took priority, as I really wanted to be able to exercise the car after months of not being able to drive it due to my vinyl top project.

Anyway, I did order and receive the headliner and am now trying to figure out what to make the tack strips out of. Fred at Bird Nest suggested a material they sell for convertible tack strips, so I ordered that. Unfortunately after looking at it and seeing how the moldings seem to go on top of the strips, I am thinking the stuff is too thick. Am going to take another look at the whole thing today, but I am thinking about cutting strips of 1/8" marine ply. Downsides to that approach are (a) time consuming, and (b) staples will have to be strong enough to be driven into it.

I really wish I could find the original fiberboard-like stuff, but I don't know what to call it or where to look. Seems like it would be low hanging fruit for someone to reproduce...

And then I also need to find the right staples (and a gun if mine isn't compatible). Factory staples are tiny - 3/16" leg & crown.
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

A little tip on the headliner bows. Mine needed to be cleaned up a bit and after I steel wooled them I shot them with clear enamel. This may be a wee bit anal, but I was concerned about trying to keep the headliner from getting dirty during the install and the bows could have been a culprit, one last thing to worry about I say. They were slick as can be sliding into place.
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

Source for Ford tack strips.

https://www.bobdrake.com/tackingstrips

I did end up using some of the fiberboard I removed from the pass through behind the rear seat, same type of material, it works. I just cut it to fit.Right now I am having a "Wrastlin" match with the dash pad, I have done work like this on other rides but I am now concerned that this turns into one of those "Projects" you see for sale on Hemmings. :-)
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thanks for the info. A local friend who has done custom upholstery for decades hooked me up with thick cardboard that I am hoping will do the job. I've cut about half of the strips I need. Just need to do the rear window area. Also bought a pneumatic stapler that handles the small sizes. Hoping to get this thing done in the next couple of weeks.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

So it is hard to believe a whole YEAR has gone by... Life seems to have really gotten in the way of this project, but I'm back on it now!

Tack strips are cut and installed, and I'm ready to tackle the headliner itself. Curious about a couple of practical process questions:

I assume I insert bows in order, mark centerlines of roof and liner, pop the bows back into the roof. THEN - is there any particular order one follows when stretching/tacking? i.e. - start with the windshield header at the center, and stretch/tack outward to the sides, then ??

Any pointers will be very appreciated!
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

Steverino,
Good to see that you are back at it, I completely forgot about this. Mine came out beautiful and it was a breeze but the 1st headliner I bought from Stock Interiors turned out to be a one size fits all affair and when I went to return it I found that they had sold out to another company so I ended up buying another from Bird Nest, perfect fit so I had a do over...I digress.

Assuming that you marked the bows when you took them out and cleaned them up (Wink) I placed the liner upside down on the roof (I placed a clean blanket on the top prior) and install all of the bows in their correct location. I had my wife help me gather it up and help me get it into the car as the battle is maneuvering the liner and keeping it clean right?

Start from the rear and install the 1st 2-3 bows as I had a problem that they kept falling out and I did not have enough hands so I left the front hanging as I worked my way forward. You will tighten things up as you advance.

Start to fasten it from the rear center working your way L-R forward to keep things even and tight. Work your way forward in the same manner. Just keep pulling it tight as you go and pull out the wrinkles although one trick to tighten it up is a steam gun or hairdryer but I have done a couple of these prior and never needed one?

Couple of lessons learned...
When you get to the front, work from the center out as well, last chance to fix any sagging material.

I did not fasten the rear quarter until last and that allowed me to tighten the rear quite nicely as it gave me material to pull on.

The one mistake I did make was that I was so excited to be making progress on the liner and how well it was coming out that I forgot to make a cut and install the rear courtesy light but my mistake turned into fortune as I ended up cutting a hole using the lamp holder as the template and when I installed the lens cover it tightened the liner up even more so that was a win.

So there ya be. Good luck, let me know how it came out?
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Hey, thanks so much for the quick reply!

Glad to hear yours came out well - that gives me some confidence! And I appreciate all of the details so I don't have to reinvent the wheel here. Also happy to hear your liner from Bird Nest worked out well, as that's where I got mine too. I did notice that the sleeve for the rear bow is too long, so I will have to figure out where to cut it to allow the bow ends to exit properly.

My only real concern is whether my tack strips & staples will do the job as required... time will tell, as I think I'm about ready to start the install.

Stay tuned... :mrgreen:
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

Here is a hack for the tack strip. I know that the purists on here will gasp but in a couple of places, where, for one reason or the other the tack strip failed me, I split a stir stick for mixing house paint, cut them to size and attached them with tiny self-tapping screws and filled in the spots which required such. Made a great tack strip.

No one but you, and everyone else who reads this will know what you did. :-)
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Your secret's safe with me... (and thanks!)
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678