Oil Cap Blew Off

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeoffInCarlsbad

Oil Cap Blew Off

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Hi everyone. Been awhile, but been back to tinkering to the '61.

Problem: My Oil Cap blow off yesterday.

Recently, I've been getting some popping only when the engine is rather cool. Car starts fine, runs fine, put it in gear to pull out and inevitably
the engine has been popping 1 or 2 times only, then will act as if ready to stall upon a stop. Once the motor is heated up a bit, everthing runs great. Starts well, runs well, accelerates normally, et al.

A little background: Last year I replaced my autolite 4100 with and Edelbrock carb. I also run a PCV from the the intake manifold to a port on the carb. Have been doing that for over a year with no problem. Idle speed is good, timing on track (6 degrees), but I have her running a little rich.

So, the problem could be:
  • PCV Clogged
    Oil in the crankcase being blown out, which means I my have a blow-by issue.
the former I will check today, but if it's not that, is a ring-job on the horizon? I have always feared I would need a rebuild on the nearly 60 year old motor, with unknown mileage. I can face that fact, but before I do, I'd like to get some ideas on other tests to diagnose this issue.

All help always welcome.

Best regards,

~g
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?