Vacuum Cannister question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Vacuum Cannister question

Post by stevegintn »

One more of the little issues I am now looking into on my 62.

My vacuum canister has NO VACUUM LINES connected to it.

I searched and read a few hi-jacked threads here on it, and not much help (no photos or basic info).

My car is an a/c car (but disabled) and non-working electric door locks, if that has any connection?

I read something about a T-connector and check valve to the manifold, but not sure what that's all about. My old COM does ok, but a hard shift from first to second.

Can anybody educate me?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
RedBird64

Re: Vacuum Cannister question

Post by RedBird64 »

Sounds like someone disconnected all the vacuum lines from the eng.
It will be a lot more peppy with the vacuum adv. connected.
The hard shift is likely because the vacuum to the modulator on the trans isn't present. Without it, the trans thinks your at full throttle all the time and adjusts trans pressures to ensure a solid, no slip shift. This isn't hurting the trans but it isn't very pleasant and can be a little hard on u-joints and the diff.
You need a vacuum line diagram to reconnect everything. When you do, I would check each item to make sure it isn't leaking before you connect it to the eng. Otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak and that leads to burnt valves. (Learned this one the hard way!)\

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

stevegintn wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:37 am One more of the little issues I am now looking into on my 62.

My vacuum canister has NO VACUUM LINES connected to it.

I searched and read a few hi-jacked threads here on it, and not much help (no photos or basic info).

My car is an a/c car (but disabled) and non-working electric door locks, if that has any connection?

I read something about a T-connector and check valve to the manifold, but not sure what that's all about. My old COM does ok, but a hard shift from first to second.

Can anybody educate me?
The Osborne Assembly Manuals have very complete vacuum diagrams for 1962 cars. There are some photos of Bulletbird engine compartments that show some of the vacuum system components on my website. No 61-66 Thunderbirds were factory equipped with electric door locks, only vacuum locks as an option starting in '63. If your '62 has electric (or vacuum) locks they were added by a P.O.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm The Osborne Assembly Manuals have very complete vacuum diagrams for 1962 cars. There are some photos of Bulletbird engine compartments that show some of the vacuum system components on my website. No 61-66 Thunderbirds were factory equipped with electric door locks, only vacuum locks as an option starting in '63. If your '62 has electric (or vacuum) locks they were added by a P.O.
Thanks, Jim!

Where can I get "Osborne Assembly Manuals"? I have the Osborne "Body, Trim, & Sealant" and Electrical Assembly" manuals for 1961 (came with my parts car).

What's the link to your website?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

stevegintn wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am
Jim Wulf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm The Osborne Assembly Manuals have very complete vacuum diagrams for 1962 cars. There are some photos of Bulletbird engine compartments that show some of the vacuum system components on my website. No 61-66 Thunderbirds were factory equipped with electric door locks, only vacuum locks as an option starting in '63. If your '62 has electric (or vacuum) locks they were added by a P.O.
Thanks, Jim!

Where can I get "Osborne Assembly Manuals"? I have the Osborne "Body, Trim, & Sealant" and Electrical Assembly" manuals for 1961 (came with my parts car).

What's the link to your website?
Look on pages 50, 51,53, 56, and 59 of your Electrical Manual. My website is:

www.tbirdgarage.com
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
stevegintn

Re: Vacuum Canister question

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am Look on pages 50, 51,53, 56, and 59 of your Electrical Manual. My website is:

www.tbirdgarage.com
OK, I didn't find anything on the canister in your Engine Compartment photos, nor were the pages you ref'd from my electrical manual very useful - best I can tell, one of the canister hoses goes to the heater and the other to the brake booster? (but I could be totally wrong)

Can anybody just please give me a simple answer?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

stevegintn wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am
Jim Wulf wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am Look on pages 50, 51,53, 56, and 59 of your Electrical Manual. My website is:

www.tbirdgarage.com
OK, I didn't find anything on the canister in your Engine Compartment photos, nor were the pages you ref'd from my electrical manual very useful - best I can tell, one of the canister hoses goes to the heater and the other to the brake booster? (but I could be totally wrong)

Can anybody just please give me a simple answer?
Well, alrighty then. I have (and many others I'll wager) have put together an entire vacuum system from studying those diagrams, which are actually very complete. If you're not willing to put in the time to study them, then I can't help you. I'd be glad to answer specific questions, but I don't have the time or inclination to walk you or anyone else through the entire system, particularly when it's already all laid out in front of you in black and white. Good luck. :???:
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 am Well, alrighty then. I have (and many others I'll wager) have put together an entire vacuum system from studying those diagrams, which are actually very complete. If you're not willing to put in the time to study them, then I can't help you. I'd be glad to answer specific questions, but I don't have the time or inclination to walk you or anyone else through the entire system, particularly when it's already all laid out in front of you in black and white. Good luck. :???:
Gee, thanks, Jim!

I guess my Electrical Assembly manual is not as good as yours? (the diagrams are very 'sketchy'). I did look closely at the pages you referenced, but couldn't see any COMPLETE indication of where the two vacuum lines emanated from? (but pretty sure the small one goes thru the firewall to the heater).

Unfortunately, I'm just not as smart as you or others here, when it comes to reengineering 55 year-old cars. Again, appreciate your help.

Have a blessed day!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

And just so we are clear, my SPECIFIC QUESTIONS were 1) Where does the LARGE vacuum line go? and 2) Where does the SMALLER line go?

I didn't ask for a Dissertation nor the Theory of Operation. I resent your implication that I am either TOO LAZY to look for an answer, or TOO STUPID to see it when I'm looking at it.

I have worked on my own cars, trucks, atv's, boat motors, and tractors for over 50 years, but only 3 years of working on a Thunderbird. So pardon me, for not meeting your expectations?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Last edited by Jim Wulf on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Yeah Steve, this isn't your typical forum! In fact, it isn't like any other forum on the internet. :roll:

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Jim Wulf wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:46 pm
stevegintn wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm And just so we are clear, my SPECIFIC QUESTIONS were 1) Where does the LARGE vacuum line go? and 2) Where does the SMALLER line go?

I didn't ask for a Dissertation nor the Theory of Operation. I resent your implication that I am either TOO LAZY to look for an answer, or TOO STUPID to see it when I'm looking at it.

I have worked on my own cars, trucks, atv's, boat motors, and tractors for over 50 years, but only 3 years of working on a Thunderbird. So pardon me, for not meeting your expectations?
Gee Steve! Sorry you didn't find my answer "simple" enough for you, or my references "useful". Others have. Done here.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Jim Wulf wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:18 pm Gee Steve! Sorry you didn't find my answer "simple" enough for you, or my references "useful". Others have. Done here.
Gee, thanks, Jim!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

RedBird64 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 pm Sounds like someone disconnected all the vacuum lines from the eng.
It will be a lot more peppy with the vacuum adv. connected.
The hard shift is likely because the vacuum to the modulator on the trans isn't present. Without it, the trans thinks your at full throttle all the time and adjusts trans pressures to ensure a solid, no slip shift. This isn't hurting the trans but it isn't very pleasant and can be a little hard on u-joints and the diff.
You need a vacuum line diagram to reconnect everything. When you do, I would check each item to make sure it isn't leaking before you connect it to the eng. Otherwise you'll have a vacuum leak and that leads to burnt valves. (Learned this one the hard way!)\

Scott
Thanks, again, Scott - just had a chance to revisit my post and went out to take a look at my car.

A couple questions about what you mention ...

When you say "vacuum advance", are you talking about timing advance (distributor)? If so, my car has the metal vacuum line from bottom left of carb to the diaphragm on the distributor. Is that it?

Re shifting, where is a vacuum line to the transmission? (it does shift pretty hard)

The spaghetti diagrams provided by the gracious Mr Wulf are difficult for me to figure out. But it looks like I have a LARGE line coming from the brake booster and connecting to a block above the left side of the intake (but nothing on the other side, toward canister, so I assume that's what's missing). The SMALL hose I am missing goes thru the firewall to the (non-working) heater box. I rerouted all heater hoses when I discovered a major heater core leak.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

And I now see, all the diagrams are now GONE? (what an #@* lol!)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N