Alternator splash shield

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

Alternator splash shield

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I have been replicating the splash shield that goes around the alternator.
At the moment my car has a 66 engine in it and the alternator was mounted in the high position. The alternators that I have are correct for a 63 model and I also have 2 more alternators that are generic for other years. The problem that I have is because the alternator is mounted in the high position there is little clearance for the wires where they attache to the alternator. And the alternator is very close to the right hand cylinder head.
Over the years I don't get the life out of the alternators, I think this is due to the exposure to the heat from the cylinder head. Also what compounds the problem is the header tank leaks and this dribbles onto the alternator and corrodes everything.

The other week the power steering pump done a seal so whilst the pump was being repaired I changed the brackets on the alternator and placed it in the low position. I now can undo the wires at the back of the alternator without removing the alternator off the car, but the problem with the leaking water still remains.
Some people will think, well why not repair the header tank? good statement but I have a reconditioned 63 engine that I will be fitting to the car soon so I don't want to spend any time or money on the engine that I will be removing.

I purchased a 63 splash shield some time ago to go onto the replacement engine so I thought that I would have a go at replicating it for the 66 engine.
If anybody is interested I can send you a cad drawing of it. I measured the original one, which would be imperial and then converted the sizes to draw it in metric.

Here are some photo's.
All I have to do now is put a slight bend in it to wrap around the alternator and then paint it.
Attachments
Original style splash shield 5.jpg
Original style splash shield 4.jpg
Original style splash shield 3.jpg
Original style splash shield 2.jpg
Original style splash shield 1.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Re: Alternator splash shield

Post by Karl »

I forgot to ask, Does anybody know the number for the self taping screw that holds the alternator wires to the splash shield?
There is a images in the electrical assy manual but it doesn't show the splash shield or the screw.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Karl wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm I forgot to ask, Does anybody know the number for the self taping screw that holds the alternator wires to the splash shield?
There is a images in the electrical assy manual but it doesn't show the splash shield or the screw.
Karl.
It's a #10 x 5/8L. Do you have the special sheet metal J nut for the plastic wiring clamp that accepts the screw?
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day Jim.
Those clips look like the same one's that holds the wiring in the doors for the courtesy light.

I have the screw, I purchased some from AMK products some time ago (Ford part # 42134, 10#-12 x 5/8" long).
I don't have an original "J" nut itself. I did purchase some generic modern one's for the door wiring and used them with a modern "P" clip
The plastic clip itself I was going to try and replicate them, just haven't had time as yet. I would be interested in obtaining a complete clip.
Jim Mills did send my a photo of some of the various clips that he had, they were of the larger variety. This was when I was replicating the clips that hold the tail light wires to the rear bumper.

Now with regards to the clip holding the wires to the splash shield, I was under the impression that the clip was held to the splash shield by the screw only, not with the "J" clip.
The splash shield that I have to copy has one hole in it that takes the self tapping screw and this hole has been punched in, not drilled. If the plastic clip was used in conjunction with the small metal "J" clip than it would be just a larger dia hole, drilled so the screw would go straight through the splash shield?

Also a friend of mine has a 63 Landau that was build only a few weeks earlier than mine, It looks like it is fairly original condition. Heavily rusted through out the car though as it has been stored over here for some 7 years under a tree. Surprisingly the splash shield is still there and a lot of the other small bits and pieces on the car. On that splash shield it is screwed directly into the shield like my sample that I have.
I would be interested in your views on this.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Karl,

That clip was installed on one of my 63 parts cars and I assumed it was the original since the car was fairly original in most respects. It could very well be that it was a replacement for the original clip, and it could have come from a door wiring harness since those are the same. At any rate it would look the same installed on the shield with either fastening method. I have more original plastic P clips and can send you one. PM me your mailing address again as I neglected to enter in my address book when I received the wires from you.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Karl

Post by Karl »

Private message sent.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Worked out how to curve the shield like the original.
Bit of a challenge because the curve starts about 1/2" on the strengthening rib that runs at 90 deg to the curve.
I believe there was a lower shield and it attached to the body of the car. Does anybody know what this was?
Karl.
Attachments
Original style splash shield 7.jpg
Original style splash shield 6.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That's some nice work!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Finished product.
Splash shield finished.jpg
Does anybody know what fasteners were used to hold the lower splash shield in place to the frame?
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Karl wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am G'day.
Worked out how to curve the shield like the original.
Bit of a challenge because the curve starts about 1/2" on the strengthening rib that runs at 90 deg to the curve.
I believe there was a lower shield and it attached to the body of the car. Does anybody know what this was?
Karl.
There were two "lower" shields: a metal shield attached to the frame and crossmember, and a masticated rubber shield attached to the frame. The rubber shield is available from the Bird vendors, the metal shield is only available as a used piece and is becoming pretty scarce.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Karl wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:08 pm Finished product.Splash shield finished.jpg
Does anybody know what fasteners were used to hold the lower splash shield in place to the frame?
Karl
For the metal shield: 5/16-18 x 1/2 flange head thread cutter screws, with an "L" stamped on the recessed head. There may be other head markings, but this is what I have found most often. See the photo above for the three wire clips used on the rubber shield.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Jim.
I have the black mastic one, I purchased it some time ago with the intention of installing it to the car when I install the replacement 63 engine that I have been working on. but I haven't got the retaining clips. Because I have moved the alternator to the lower position recently it might be a good idea if I installed the mastic shield. It looks like any splashed water from the front wheel would hit the alternator.
The lower metal shield looks more complicated than the top one to fabricate, that's going to be some work to replicate - probably out of my league.

I had a look on the AMK web pages, I couldn't see the clips or the thread cutting bolts. Does anybody know where I could purchase -
1/ 5/16-18 x 1/2 flange head thread cutter screws.
2/ The clips to hold the black mastic shield on,
3/ A lower metal shield.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Karl wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am Thanks Jim.
I have the black mastic one, I purchased it some time ago with the intention of installing it to the car when I install the replacement 63 engine that I have been working on. but I haven't got the retaining clips. Because I have moved the alternator to the lower position recently it might be a good idea if I installed the mastic shield. It looks like any splashed water from the front wheel would hit the alternator.
The lower metal shield looks more complicated than the top one to fabricate, that's going to be some work to replicate - probably out of my league.

I had a look on the AMK web pages, I couldn't see the clips or the thread cutting bolts. Does anybody know where I could purchase -
1/ 5/16-18 x 1/2 flange head thread cutter screws.
2/ The clips to hold the black mastic shield on,
3/ A lower metal shield.

Karl.
Karl, I think you're right about the lower shield - its a fairly complicated piece that has obviously been stamped out using some pretty heavy equipment. Pat Wilson and the Bird's Nest are just about the only dealer choices now when it comes to used parts. I found a set of original screws and a set of original clips in my parts stash for you, but no shield. I do know of someone who is restoring a '64 and recently acquired a '64 parts car. I can check with him to see if the shield is still on there and if he needs it or not. '63 and '64 shields are the same.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Karl, for the clip to retain the Mastic panel, a company close to my home has possibly what you need. (40km). The company name is Spaenaur, and they are located in Kitchener Ontario Canada. I normally go on Google and just do a search on their online catalogue. I did a quick check, and they have a clip like what you need, with a square measurement of 11/16 inch or 18mm. I found it in Section H in their catalogue. They post a service desk email as "service@spaenaur.com", not sure if you can access it from Aussie, and that is why I said Google it.
I Have to go see them for a few items shortly, and if you find what you need, I can pick them up and forward to you. Good Hunting

Wally
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

This is what happens when two bodies are responding at the same time. I type in a response and end up late and Jim W answers to solve the problem.
Still willing to go to Spaenaur if you need anything, will hold back until let me know
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible