Rear axle housing leak

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

orthodoc

Rear axle housing leak

Post by orthodoc »

I have a leak in the axle housing of my 63 roadster. All seals have been replaced and it was still leaking a bit so we took it all apart again, cleaned things up and the. Discovered the leak in one of the welds seen in the picture. Why are prevailing thoughts on repairing the leak with a new weld vs replacing the housing? If replacing the housing is best what source would you recommend?

I know it is not uncommon for these to leak at the welds so hoping others have good advice.
Attachments
229783DF-2642-48C1-A8FE-5DA10856FBD8.jpeg
B15A4AB1-0F2C-4A1D-A701-764678DB048E.jpeg
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
Karl

Re: Rear axle housing leak

Post by Karl »

G'day.
When I do anything on my car I try to repair any original parts. In saying that I don't really know what is original on my car as it is a bit of a collection of varying years.
Still the same, I like to keep it original.
Just my opinion.
Karl
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Not sure if this matters, but it does appear that this spot has been welded before, but at the flange rather than the seam. If you look closely you can see this. But didn’t seem to be leaking at the flange
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
BobHH

Post by BobHH »

Give it a good cleaning and have someone TIG weld it. Maybe just fuse it. Grind down flat (using a straight edge) and reassembly with plenty of gasket sealant. Use a good sealant like Permatex.
Bob Harris
Strange 1962 Thunderbird SR?