Help! Caster all out of whack!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Aaron65

Help! Caster all out of whack!

Post by Aaron65 »

I just changed ball joints and lower bushings on my '63. Before the rebuild, I was only able to get 2* negative caster out of the passenger side. Afterward, I can only get 4* negative, probably because the new bushing is tight so I can't use the slop to get more caster. The driver's side is fine...I can adjust anywhere from 1.5* negative to 1* positive or so.

Any ideas? I did some quick measurements underneath, and the brackets look like they're in the right spots. Nothing else is obviously wrong to me. I'm stumped, and usually I can work my way through problems like this. I'd hate to just start throwing parts at it.
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit
RedBird64

Re: Help! Caster all out of whack!

Post by RedBird64 »

From my experience, all those numbers are so minimal that the differences just aren't going to make any difference at all to handling.
To make a real difference, you need to get up to 6~9 degrees but that's impossible.

Just my opinion though.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 »

It's not so much the number as the difference between the two wheels. Cross caster makes it nervous to drive...I'm going to take it over to a local old time frame and alignment shop (I hate taking my cars in) so they can get it up on the rack and do some measurements of the frame and suspension points to see what's bent. I hope it's not anything in the unibody.
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1974 Firebird Esprit
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I was unable to achieve positive caster after a couple of professional alignment attempts. The negative caster resulted in effortless steering with no automatic return to straight ahead after a turn. I purchased my own alignment tool for about $100. I then removed the 2 adjustment struts and found them to not have identical slots. With a little grinding of the slots I was able to achieve slightly positive caster. Turning now requires slightly more effort and the steering wheel returns to straight ahead. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 »

Thanks Bill. I definitely have a problem with the upper control arm in my case (I think). I've ordered an upper control arm from the salvage yard because I think (and I'm not sure it's even possible) someone at some point used a driver's side arm on the passenger side. I'll update when I figure it all out.
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1974 Firebird Esprit
Ian M Greer

Post by Ian M Greer »

Aaron if you replaced in upper A -arm inner control arm and bushing assembly's make sure you install them to the setting in the shop manual, they are not just centered to the upper A- arm as you think they might be . And this will throw your whole alignment out of wack ,Ian
1963 M Landau Caspian Blue (Remember Not All Birds Fly South)
Member #-12090