small surge tank hose

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62Tbird

small surge tank hose

Post by 62Tbird »

Hey, are these cars suppose to have a separate expansion tank? I have a small rubber hose attached to the filler neck port but it does not attach to anything else. It is just open to the ground on the other end. I checked the shop manual as well as pics online and cannot figure it out. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
InkedFord-Thunderbird-Radiator-Expansion-Surge-Tank-Chrome_LI.jpg
Alan H. Tast

Re: small surge tank hose

Post by Alan H. Tast »

No. What you're asking about is the overflow drain tube. When pressure builds up enough to lift the spring-loaded sealing disc on the underside of the radiator cap, coolant will flow through the overflow tube and onto the ground. Recovery tanks didn't start showing up until after 1966 from the factory (I'm not sure of the exact timeframe they started being used on T-birds as I don't have that committed to memory - yet). The original hose was a thin-wall design that had ribbing running its length to help ID its size. Most people use readily-available fuel line hose or vacuum hose that will fit the pipe - these have a thicker sidewall than the original hose, which didn't need to be pressurized or hold vacuum, but correct reproductions are out there - Jim Wulf can chime in on this better than I can, though I need to get several feet of it for my '63s.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
62Tbird

Post by 62Tbird »

Thanks so much, I still have a lot to learn about these generation cars.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm No. What you're asking about is the overflow drain tube. When pressure builds up enough to lift the spring-loaded sealing disc on the underside of the radiator cap, coolant will flow through the overflow tube and onto the ground. Recovery tanks didn't start showing up until after 1966 from the factory (I'm not sure of the exact timeframe they started being used on T-birds as I don't have that committed to memory - yet). The original hose was a thin-wall design that had ribbing running its length to help ID its size. Most people use readily-available fuel line hose or vacuum hose that will fit the pipe - these have a thicker sidewall than the original hose, which didn't need to be pressurized or hold vacuum, but correct reproductions are out there - Jim Wulf can chime in on this better than I can, though I need to get several feet of it for my '63s.
The thin wall, three ribbed hose Alan references is available from GM parts suppliers for about $9.00 for three feet and it's what I use. More than ample for one car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-72-GM-Car ... SwtJZXVjLY

There is another supplier that sells ribbed overflow hose supposedly for Fords for $20.00 for three feet. Same exact hose, you pick. #-o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Radia ... SwMrZckPDC
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
saenzm

Post by saenzm »

So timely, i just came across this same hose replacement task on my to-do list. I found one at Mac's for $5.99 (3 feet). It's in the Mustang section, Part #: 44-366342-1

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_must ... -1979.html?
-migs

1962 Hardtop ...perpetual WIP
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

saenzm wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm So timely, i just came across this same hose replacement task on my to-do list. I found one at Mac's for $5.99 (3 feet). It's in the Mustang section, Part #: 44-366342-1

Mac's is a supporter of VTCI by advertising in our magazine, "Thunderbird Scoop." Do be aware that shipping and handling charges for a small order like just the hose may be a bit pricey, so I suggest looking to see if there are other items you need to order so as to keep the S&H charges within reason.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
saenzm

Post by saenzm »

Alan, thanks for the tip. Looks like it's time to beef up that shopping cart!
-migs

1962 Hardtop ...perpetual WIP
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:39 pm
saenzm wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm So timely, i just came across this same hose replacement task on my to-do list. I found one at Mac's for $5.99 (3 feet). It's in the Mustang section, Part #: 44-366342-1

Mac's is a supporter of VTCI by advertising in our magazine, "Thunderbird Scoop." Do be aware that shipping and handling charges for a small order like just the hose may be a bit pricey, so I suggest looking to see if there are other items you need to order so as to keep the S&H charges within reason.
Wise advise Alan, I have been there and done that too !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309