Ignition switch & lock issue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Steverino

Re: Ignition switch & lock issue

Post by Steverino »

Well that sounds like fun. Thanks for the advice, Jim. I'll try a bit more gentle persuasion and if that fails I'll dive in to the dash.

Just want to drive the silly thing!
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Steve give another shot with removing the bezel. I remember that was the solution to getting the lock assembly out. Its been 4 years but there was some degree of holding the bezel pushing the switch from inside the dash and twisting the switch to get it to unlock the bezel. As I mentioned before that was the biggest pain in replacing the ignition assembly and it is the biggest pain when installing the new one.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thank you Sir. Will definitely try again - I need some uninterrupted focus time this weekend... ;-)
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

I finally had time today to work on this again. To remove the ignition switch, you have to release the bezel (that says ACC OFF etc.), and to release the bezel, you have to remove the ignition lock cylinder (one way or another). I finally got my key to turn "off", but could not get it to the ACC position to release the lock cylinder. So, long story short, I destroyed the lock cylinder to release the bezel. It wasn't pretty, but the only damage (I think) was a few small nicks in the bezel.

I've ordered a new lock set (ignition and both doors so that things match) and a new ignition switch from Bird Nest. Hopefully I'll then be able to finally drive the car for the first time in over a year. Of course, that means taking the doors apart to change those locks too. But at least now all locks and keys will be crisp cut and new.

More fun than one human being should be allowed to have... and I still haven't even tackled the headliner yet.

I think I need to retire so I can get stuff done.
Steve
'62 Landau

VTCI #11678
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat! A bigger hammer works, too!
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
ricklove

Post by ricklove »

MN63Tbird wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm Steve give another shot with removing the bezel. I remember that was the solution to getting the lock assembly out. Its been 4 years but there was some degree of holding the bezel pushing the switch from inside the dash and twisting the switch to get it to unlock the bezel. As I mentioned before that was the biggest pain in replacing the ignition assembly and it is the biggest pain when installing the new one.

MN63
Just did mine, but ended up that the wiring harness was missing 1 of the internal brass connectors. Had to order a new wiring ignition switch harness. What I learned in the process was that it installs MUCH easier if the wiring harness connector is not installed until after the switch and switch body are connected.