Cruise O'Matic Problems

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Kevhen1996

Re: Cruise O'Matic Problems

Post by Kevhen1996 »

RedBird,

I thought it was kickdown too. I have the rod to the accelerator linkage adjusted according to the manual (1.25 inches from contact if I remember correctly). The arm on the transmission also appears to be in the right spot (pointing upward, not to the ground). The car didnt have the accelerator linked to the kickdown when I bought it. Could the presence of the link be what is throwing it off?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

You might try disconnecting the kick-down part of the linkage or just backing its adjustment off and then go for a test drive. At least that will tell you you're on the right track. Then you can make further adjustments.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I'm betting that most of the posters who are having trouble with the car not responding under acceleration are missing the bell housing mounted throttle stop bracket. It is always removed during an engine or transmission rebuild and is often not reinstalled by an inattentive rebuilder because they have no idea what it is or when it came from. This has been discussed ad nauseum in past threads.
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... php?t=6720
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Kevhen1996

Post by Kevhen1996 »

I tried loosening the kickdown rod adjustment to the end of the rod and took it for a spin. Still no automatic shift. I do not have the bracket Jim is talking about. The car came with a bolt run through where the rubber stop would be on the throttle linkage that butts up against the block as a "replacement" for the bracket. Would that bracket being missing really throw the linkage off to the point of it not shifting regardless if the kickdown is connected?
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Kevhen1996 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:29 pm I tried loosening the kickdown rod adjustment to the end of the rod and took it for a spin. Still no automatic shift. I do not have the bracket Jim is talking about. The car came with a bolt run through where the rubber stop would be on the throttle linkage that butts up against the block as a "replacement" for the bracket. Would that bracket being missing really throw the linkage off to the point of it not shifting regardless if the kickdown is connected?
Yes, it would. You need the original style rubber stop and throttle stop bracket for the contraption to work correctly. It's an odd, but critical, piece of Ford engineering. It's an easy fix - don't think twice about not doing it.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I don't believe the linkage being wrong, misinstalled or misadjusted would keep the trans from shifting if the kickdown isn't connected. There just isnt any connection.

As long as the kickdown linkage is not connected or somehow being moved at the trans, nothing that happens with the throttle linkage (or the modulator) will keep it from shifting.

Another way to look at it; So long as the rear wheels achieve the appropiate speeds, the trans will shift regardless of what is going on with the throttle linkage. These trans were pretty simple!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

:mrgreen:
RedBird64 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm I don't believe the linkage being wrong, misinstalled or misadjusted would keep the trans from shifting if the kickdown isn't connected. There just isnt any connection.

As long as the kickdown linkage is not connected or somehow being moved at the trans, nothing that happens with the throttle linkage (or the modulator) will keep it from shifting.

Another way to look at it; So long as the rear wheels achieve the appropiate speeds, the trans will shift regardless of what is going on with the throttle linkage. These trans were pretty simple!

Scott
I was strictly addressing the lack of acceleration caused by the throttle stop issue, Although some folks often attribute sluggish acceleration to lack of transmission kick down. My point is to check the throttle linkage first before looking at the transmission which is much more complicated.
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Kevhen1996

Post by Kevhen1996 »

The thing is I'm not having any issue with acceleration or slipping that I'm noticing. It will get up and move just fine, it just cant seem to shift up by itself. I'm thinking its an internal pressure issue because it engages in all modes but wont move through the gears. Luckily the local shop has a guy who's been working on Ford transmissions for upwards of 50 years who knows COMs like the back of his hand. Hopefully the rebuild I scheduled will get it rolling right.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

A good rebuild makes the COM work super nice.
You're really going to like the results!

Scott
Aaron65

Post by Aaron65 »

[/quote]
You need the original style rubber stop and throttle stop bracket for the contraption to work correctly. It's an odd, but critical, piece of Ford engineering. It's an easy fix - don't think twice about not doing it.
[/quote]

Odd is right! I just went to check this out on my '63 (the engine and transmission were rebuilt before I bought it, and the shifts are perhaps a little too crisp for my liking), and it's all there, but what a strange way to do things! No wonder T-Birds cost so much back then...extra parts! I guess it's no more weird than the transmission microswitch on my '65 Skylark...that is a series of slides and rollers, all to change the stator pitch on the torque converter. I had to tear it apart to clean the contacts once, and I couldn't believe that either...but it works!
1963 T-Bird Hardtop
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark
1965 Corvair Monza
1965 Dodge Dart wagon
1953 Buick Special Riviera
1974 Firebird Esprit
Hebergroskelley

Post by Hebergroskelley »

Hey. I have a 1963 ford thunderbird and just did a rebuild on the cruise o matic transmission. after i put fluid in the car moved foward a few feet and came on a incline. Than the car died i started it back up and no gear engagement still have enough fluid in it but it wont drive in any gear i select. Does any one know what the problem could be?
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

You might try posting on the Ford Transmission Forum on the Tapatalk app. Retired, very experienced professionals over there. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Hebergroskelley

Post by Hebergroskelley »

Thank you.