Starting issues after cleaning gas tank 62 t bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Re: Starting issues after cleaning gas tank 62 t bird

Post by stevegintn »

Bungalocity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 pm I am going to attempt a Japan-Black finish, at least on the top portion and straps. Stanley planes and storm/hinge hardware and Ford Model A fenders used this Linseed/Asphaltum treatment as a rust proofing. I may continue it to the lower-visible portion as well. Paint just peels off.
Before installing, I sprayed my whole tank with that black, heat-resistant rubberized paint. I imagine, it will outlast me?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

OK this is wild, I know I'm a total Noob, and even that can be a forgiven oversight on this one...
The Pump I removed has the IN/OUT reversed from the new one!
I inspected every bit of the new pump, looking for Made in China (none) and other markings.

Never dawned on me that they were actually reversed.
Tried to start after doing this on a damp cold dark night last night and of course, nothing, clear in-line filter totally empty.
Woke up and checked my pix from last night and it hit me.

Waiting for a fresh charge - haven't been able to keep a charge because I can't run it long enough to replenish batt.
We'll see soon? Everything I'm reading is that when healthy the crank should be plenty to pump in fuel without priming carb.

One difference I do see, is that the travel on the spring-lever of pump is WAYYYY shorter than the one I'm replacing. I seriously hope that it's a more efficient pump and the travel is compensated for increased volume and flow.
Attachments
IMG_8430.jpeg
El Leon

Post by El Leon »

Unrelated to your fuel pump issue (which is strange they would reverse the flow patterns), Just trying to be helpful and add that I would also throw in that your air filter is a fire waiting to happen.

Foam filters which cover the entire carb opening are ticking time bombs. When you have mis-fires, failed starts or any back pressure it will harm the foam directly above the carb.

Those bits of foam can/will fall into the carb and either get sucked into the motor, or clog a venturi where the get soaked with fuel and eventually catch on fire.

If you haven't already looked at the inside of that filter, I would take a look and if the foam shows any signs of fire damage or falling apart, then get rid of that thing ASAP.
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

I wanted to follow up with my own [finally successful] experience and how I troubleshooted:

Got a 20' clear plastic tubing and some brass nipples to fit (3/8? at home depot. Hooked up bypassing the tank/steel line direct from sender to fuel pump: Perfect flow. I would literally watch the cranking moving the gas thru the clear tube from rear to front, and it only takes about 15-20 seconds tops to make the run.

I got a bender and steel line from Autozone, went through all that trouble to try and replicate all the bends, and in the end decided to use the original Steel because after cleaning up with gas/scotchbrite IT LOOKED FANTASTIC. I hooked up an air compressor to the steel and is perfect so...

Getting the fender-well off was the biggest pain in the #@*...and I believe because of this the short 4" hose connecting the 2 steel pieces is the LAST thing anyone would touch, it was the most rotted of any hosing and most likely the culprit.

After a gander inside the tank, and what I'd pumped out of the old one by hand (can't drop a full tank on yourself LOL) I can't imagine trying to clean out that...it's just not worth it! 3 fillups of Gas = 1 tank so, look at it that way.

Fuel pump filter was loaded with crap, sender filter was gross - the entire system just needed to be swapped out. Except the one thing people told me was the problem: the long steel line. In the end, not counting the cost of good tools and equipment like a sufficient jack, stands, etc. all this should be about $500 if you do yourself.

On another note, I just read that the Edelbrock carb I have on there (1406), has way less need than the OEM-spec pump puts out and had to get a fuel regulator, so likely too much gas is going to these new carbs? Another thing to look into for the future...
Karl

Post by Karl »

Good to hear that you got your car going again.
As far as the cost of the tools, you will be using them again so I never add this into the equation.
If your filters were blocked with junk, keep an eye on this, I am sure in all the work you have done there will be more sediment dislodged.
Happy motoring.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Bungalocity

Post by Bungalocity »

The only thing left to change is the clear glass filter I put in ahead of the Carb to start the project and diagnose, or really see what may have been coming thru.
I think I can remove that now and go back to the larger steel Wix type as it should be.
Before long I will grab one of the FoMoCo repro pump canisters and check that filter/change as well.

Thanks!