63 Dash.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Karl

63 Dash.

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I have been looking at repairing the dash in my 63 hardtop. I know that the dash ends are different from 62 - 63 and the door trims are different. The door trims in my car sort of line up and the gap between the ends of the dash and the door trims are not that bad but the vent holes are starting to deteriorate. I think that I have the combo door trims, not sure.
Today I acquired the metal frame for the dash (no foam/padding). I was told it was of a 62 car but the owner said he got it with his car so he doesn't know.
Does anybody know if the metal frame for 61-63's are the same and only the foam padding was changed or is the 63 frame and padding are different.
I have seen that you can purchase new skins to go over the top of the original foam but can you buy new foam as well?
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
ICON 1956

Re: 63 Dash.

Post by ICON 1956 »

Hello Karl, could you take a few pictures, I do remember that a member tried to install a door from a 62 with the inside interior of a 63. better yet ask Jim Wulf would know or Alan Tast.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Karl , I did the dash combo on my 63 a while back.
The metal dash ends have to be trimmed to make the 62 dash pad fit. Also the 62 pad combo needs the door cards.
Or you cannot close the doors. The replacement looks like
63 at the arm rest and 62 where it meets the dash. My biggest issue with this was the lack of information. I was sent a hand drawn template to cut my metal frame, that’s all. I looked at dash caps and never found Anything that looked nice to me. There are places that will redo your pad , but that’s way over my toy budget. Funny you should mention your vents. My vents don’t look that great. My vendor told me it was the Texas heat. I had to
Cut mine open on the new pad and glue them. I later feel
I should cut some parts off the old one to glue to. Shame I never had replacement issues with other cars. I can look to see If I still have pictures if that will help.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Karl

Post by Karl »

Photo's would be good Cliff.
I will take some photo's of the dash frame that I have in the morning. I was told it was a 62 one but he got it when he purchased his car so he is not sure.
If you had to cut the metal frame of your 63 car to fit the new 62 door trim combo then the metal frame of a 62 and 63 are different?
I have always thought that on my 63 that it has been changed. The door trims look to good to be original and the ends of the dash are not equal. One looks better than the other.
I only have the metal frame, no padding. I have seen places in the U.S. that re-do the padding but like you the cost is to prohibitive. I am thinking of making my own padding and then covering it with vinyl. Could be a too big of a job. I don't like cutting anything to change a part, I have always made something that I can always convert it back to original.
I will post a photo of my dash, maybe somebody can identify weather it is a 61 or 62 or 63.
Karl.
P.S. I had a look in the O.F.S. book that I have, I thought there was some pitchers of the different dash / door trims but they are a bit hard to see.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Karl,

If you have a copy of the "Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966," William Wonder there is narrative with supporting illustrations on pages, 95,119 and 120.

All the Best,

Jonathan
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Jonathon, I knew I saw it somewhere, just couldn't remember where.
This is the dash that I got, can anybody identify if this is 61,62 or 63.
Attachments
Replacement 4.jpg
Replacement 3.jpg
Replacement 2.jpg
Replacement 1.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Trying to remember details is not as easy as it used to .That looks like a 63 to me. The difference will be the wing in the 1st picture. You will have to cut it down for the replacement dash. It took me several try’s , easyer
To cut more than to much. I also purchased some 62 end plates because the included ones were plastic. If you do the dash and you have 63 cards you will not be able to shut the doors. I have included a picture of the divers corner of my car.
54D77E99-4119-4568-8C30-64FEBD5E653F.jpeg
9453545C-FF2A-4BE6-97FB-04959A021150.jpeg
Yes I need a peice of trim there 🧐 , so it will look like
62 there and I think early 63??
Please pm me as I have lost your e mail
Thanks Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

mid-April 62 thru 63 the dash pad & frame are wider and door panels don't have the projection to meet up to the dash end - the later door panels are straight at the front. The door panel pictured is a 61 thru mid-April 62 version that's used with the narrower pad - it sticks out to meet the pad end.

If you have patience I can measure the width of a 63 frame at the ends when time and weather permits to add info to this thread. It would be nice if a 61 thru mid-April 62 owner would be kind enough to do the same.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks, that would be great Alan.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I measured three frames with pads still in place - one from my hardtop's original dash (build date Oct 22 1962), one from my parts car (built on the same day or the day after), and a third that came from a Landau which was included in a batch purchase of parts - it came from a car built after the beginning of calendar year 1963. Of the three, two had a measurement of 55-1/2" across the tips of the dash, and the third was 55". The 55" frame came from my hardtop - its end plate was formed different from the other two. I'll post pictures later today. The thickness of the vinyl over the ends of the frames probably reduces the "bare" frame width around 1/8" or so.

Again, can someone measure a '61-mid '62 frame and provide the measurement across the outside corner/tips of the pad/frame (without the filler welts/end cap plates) and post the dimensions?
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Well, apparently there's several different styles of frame ends, as Karl's differs a little from one of the two styles I have. First off, here's a late '62-'63 passenger side door panel showing the upper front corner
Door panel 63
Door panel 63
Photo of '63 end with no recess at A-pillar from '63 Landau parts car - note end panel steps outboard, has stamped recess angled inside frame end. Tip-to-tip measurement 55-1/2" wide
63 panel end w/ recess at A-pillar & stepped side
63 panel end w/ recess at A-pillar & stepped side
Comparison of ends with recess for A-pillar/flat end and no A-pillar recess/stepped end - both from cars built mid-late Oct '62
63 panel end comparison straight & stepped ends
63 panel end comparison straight & stepped ends
End shot of stepped panel with no A-pillar recess - beyond you can see how panel steps outboard
63 panel end with no A-pillar recess, stepped end - end view
63 panel end with no A-pillar recess, stepped end - end view
Another view of stepped panel with no A-pillar recess - measured 55" wide tip-to-tip - not sure if difference is due to one end being hit or if pad/frame width is truly 1/2" narrower than others without going back into the unheated storage building to check.
63 panel end with no A-pillar recess, stepped end - side view
63 panel end with no A-pillar recess, stepped end - side view
Comparison of ends with A-pillar recess/no step (left) and no A-pillar recess/stepped end (right)
Panel w/ A-pillar recess (L) vs no recess (R)
Panel w/ A-pillar recess (L) vs no recess (R)
View from top of dash frame with stamped recess at A-pillar and "flat" side panel with no step
Stamped A-pillar recess/"flat" panel w/ no step
Stamped A-pillar recess/"flat" panel w/ no step
With difference in measurements at the tips of the pads/frames, I apparently need to also get measurements across the "back" side of the frames to compare "flat" vs. "stepped" ends where the frames meet the A-pillars/cowl sides/firewall.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
tbird

Post by tbird »

Alan

My 61/62 dash panel is installed in the car but I should be able to get the measurement from tip to tip as the end trim has not been installed yet
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
tbird

Post by tbird »

Here is the dimensions for the 62 dash, Rear tip to tip is 54" including pad, at notch for A post 57 1/2".
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

tbird wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm Here is the dimensions for the 62 dash, Rear tip to tip is 54" including pad, at notch for A post 57 1/2".
This then means that there's a 1-1/2" difference in the width at the tips, i.e. 3/4" wider on each side for late '62-'63s. That would be a very noticeable gap between the late '62-'63 door panel and the '61-mid '62-style pad.

I probably won't get around to measuring the fronts of my frames for a few weeks as I'll have my "real job" to contend with this weekend. I suspect the front width will be similar.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks for all the help on this issue. Much appreciated.
I had a look at the dash panel that I have and took some measurements. I think that the dash has had a couple of hits, there seems to be some parts that just don't look right. On the drivers side it looks like it is pushed in and the tips, one looks like it has been bent so my measurements may not be right.
I did find a date stamp on the part though. Two of the digits I cant read :- ? ?O C2. The second question mark looks like it could be a 8 or a 3.
I assume the C2 is 62.

I did the measurements in metric and converted them to imperial.
"A" 1395mm 54.96"
"B" 1410mm 55.55" This is across the top to the steps on the side.
"C" 410mm 16.15"
"D" 1400mm 55.16" This is the distance between the two mounting bolt holes at the bottom.
Karl.
Attachments
Dash diamentions.jpg
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop