The heater valve

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

doubleload

The heater valve

Post by doubleload »

I have just acquired my first T-bird, a 62, and l’m trying to figure out a lot of new stuff. The previous owner threw the valve away so there is nothing to see. Bird Nest sellls a part #18502H but it appears to have only a single hose connection (inlet or outlet?) , so how does this work? I found valve repair kits on EBay that also show a conventional 2 port valve in addition to the piece on the Bird Nest site. So what do I need to fix this? Thanks
Jim Wulf

Re: The heater valve

Post by Jim Wulf »

doubleload wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 am I have just acquired my first T-bird, a 62, and l’m trying to figure out a lot of new stuff. The previous owner threw the valve away so there is nothing to see. Bird Nest sellls a part #18502H but it appears to have only a single hose connection (inlet or outlet?) , so how does this work? I found valve repair kits on EBay that also show a conventional 2 port valve in addition to the piece on the Bird Nest site. So what do I need to fix this? Thanks
I would recommend buying an NOS Fomoco or NORS - like Everhot - heater valve on Ebay. They come up quite often. And be sure to have your heater core checked for leaks before reinstalling. If you can't find one, or if you prefer, the Bird's Nest valve will work but there won't be any thermostatic control.

Here's what it looks like. The NORS Everhot valve is identical. The second nipple for the inlet hose is directly on the heater core and also goes through the firewall.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
doubleload

Post by doubleload »

Thanks for the lesson. The oval gasket and port is something I’ve never seen before.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

doubleload wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:33 pm Thanks for the lesson. The oval gasket and port is something I’ve never seen before.
Not one of Ford's "Better Ideas"! But it does work - until it doesn't - which is usually 40-50 years. ;-)
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige