Ground wire

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

omc4u

Ground wire

Post by omc4u »

Hello all,

For some reason I cannot find the pictures or the notes I took on where this wire is supposed to go to. If anyone can help it is greatly appreciated. The ground wire on the back of the alternator runs to the body on the drivers side, eyelet connector. From there another black wire with red stripe is connected in line with the ground at the terminal end. Where in the holy heck does this wire run? I believe it is 26 and 26A in the Osborne book on page 75 but I am not sure, it appears to terminate at the regulator possibly as a ground there at a screw since the end is a ring terminal. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Karl

Re: Ground wire

Post by Karl »

G'day omc4u.
First is the disclaimer, I am not 100% on this but see how this goes.
I take it that you are talking about a 63 car. (61 & 62 have generators). 64 is the same but different. Does this make sense?
In my mind the principal is the same weather generator or alternator. Every year the colour of the wire changes and the place where the wires go or tap into one another.

The ground wire (heavy gauge Black - Red) comes out of the alternator and grounds to the main subframe on the right hand side of the car. Here the battery negative cable is grounded as well. http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/63_M_ ... ons.html#1

The Black - Red (now a lighter gauge) travels to the regulator that is mounted on the Left Hand side of the car and is grounded onto the regulator using one of the screws that hold the regulator to the body. I think that the alternator and the regulator are joined with this wire just to make sure that there is a very good earth. If the charging system was to rely soley on the body there is to much that could go wrong. Make sure that all your earth points are clean and in good condition. This can be the difference between a good charging system or a charging system with problems.

Does this help?
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
omc4u

Re: Ground wire

Post by omc4u »

Karl,

That pretty much sums it up, thank you for the confirmation on what I originally thought.