62 sport roadster rear main seal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

rgebbie

62 sport roadster rear main seal

Post by rgebbie »

my rear main seal is leaking pretty bad. car was sitting 8 years when i bought it. don't really want to pull the engine, so i saw the removal of the pan can be done while the engine is in the car. thought maybe i could change the rear main be dropping the crank while in the car too.
any thoughts on my crazy idea?

rich
62 m code, with 29,999 miles.
RedBird64

Re: 62 sport roadster rear main seal

Post by RedBird64 »

You don't need to drop the crank - its a 2 part seal.
All you have to do is drop the pan and the last bearing cap.
Do yourself a favor and after you drop the pan, let it set overnight so you don't have to take an oil bath while your working under there.
BTDT!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
rgebbie

Post by rgebbie »

thank you very much.

rich
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

One other little detail.. There's a postiion you put the eng in, maybe DTC #1? Can't remember for sure but in that position all the counter weights of the crank are out of the pan and as high as they can go. That's the postiion you need it to be in so you can slide the pan out (after jacking the eng) from between the block and the cross member. Of course you also have to remove the oil pump (by braille) while the pan is loose. It has 1/2" bolts IIRC.

Have fun!
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.