Heater control valve operation

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

orthodoc

Heater control valve operation

Post by orthodoc »

Hello all,
I have a 63 roadster, non ac car. I have been having a lot of heat come out of my blower whenever it is on, no matter what temperature it is. My first thought was to check the heater control valve through the "inspection port" in the blower box. The cable is adjusted properly in that when I slide the temperature bar on the dash, the valve arm mechanism does seem to go through its full arc of motion. There also is no corrosion on the valve.

I have 2 questions. First, what else might my problem be. Secondly, can someone please explain how the heater control valve works? I have the manuals but nothing explains this. I do realize it is a valve operated by a cable but looking at it, it seems much more complicated than that. It almost looks like it has an electromagnet function or something. Also, right next to it there is a copper coil right in front of the heater core. What is the function of this and how does it play into the heater control valve?

Thanks for the help guys!
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
stove

Re: Heater control valve operation

Post by stove »

Ranco Thermostatic Heater Valve. Similar variants of the same thing found on a bazillion other makes/models for many many years

https://www.sw-em.com/Heater_Control_Valve.htm
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
nbaum

Post by nbaum »

There is a bunch of vacuum lines and vacuum motors that control the flow of air to the cabin. If operational the heater control valve will shut off the flow of coolant to the heater core. If the lines and motors are not functioning you could still blow air through the heater core into the cabin.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

stove wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 am Ranco Thermostatic Heater Valve. Similar variants of the same thing found on a bazillion other makes/models for many many years

https://www.sw-em.com/Heater_Control_Valve.htm
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"