Watch out when installing aftermarket wire weels.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Blobird

Watch out when installing aftermarket wire weels.

Post by Blobird »

When checking my wire weels for imbalance, I discovered a problem with my brand new Reproductions K-H-style Wire Weels for Thunderbird ( 14”) that I bought at Thunderbird Headquarters about 14 years ago, but only now mounted on my 63 SR . The center hole in the rim has a diameter of 63.5 mm (2.5 "), and the wheel hub has a diameter of 61.5 mm (2.421")
It is a 2mm ( 0,078“ ) difference in diameter, which means that the rim can not center on the hub and is unacceptable for the balance of the wheels that I understand.
NOTE an original K H rim has a center hole that is 61.6mm
(2,425 ") and fits on the hub just perfect .

The solution to the problem was to make 4 hub rings with the correct dimensions 61.5 / 63.5 mm ( 2,421” / 2,5”) diameter for the rims .

Another problem I had with my wire weels is, when installing the tires (American Classic 215 / 75-14), I forgot to remove two small labels on the inside of the tire, which made a small hole on the tube !!! FLAT TIRE, and that I had to mount all the tires off again and remove all the labels from the inside of the tires to make sure it does not happen again..

Best regards Lennart Sahlin /Sweden
63 SR
85 T-23
Last edited by Blobird on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lennart Sahlin Langsele / Sweden
1963 Thunderbird SR Red / Red. Black Canvas Top
1983 T-23 Streetrod Candy-red / Black
Alan H. Tast

Re: Watch out when installing aftermarket wire weels.

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Blobird wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:53 pm When checking my wire weels for imbalance, I discovered a problem with my brand new Reproductions K-H-style Wire Weels for Thunderbird ( 14”) that I bought at Thunderbird Headquarters about 14 years ago, but only now mounted on my 63 SR . The center hole in the rim has a diameter of 63.5 mm (2.5 "), and the wheel hub has a diameter of 61.5 mm (2.421")
It is a 2mm ( 0,078“ ) difference in diameter, which means that the rim can not center on the hub and is unacceptable for the balance of the wheels that I understand.
NOTE an original K H rim has a center hole that is 61.6mm
(2,425 ") and fits on the hub just perfect .

The solution to the problem was to make 4 hub rings with the correct dimensions 61.5 / 63.5 mm ( 2,421” / 2,5”) diameter for the rims .

Another problem I had with my wire weels is, when installing the tires (American Classic 215 / 75-14), I forgot to remove two small labels on the inside of the tire, which made a small hole on the hose !!! FLAT TIRE, and that I had to mount all the tires off again and remove all the labels from the inside of the tires to make sure it does not happen again..

Best regards Lennart Sahlin /Sweden
63 SR
85 T-23
See my thread regarding original wire wheels, new Hankook radial tires and tubes. You must remove the tags from inside the tires, use LOTS of tire talc powder, cover the spoke nipples with 20 mil high-temperature electrical splicing tape, and make sure the person installing the tubes knows what they're doing.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... =6&t=16122
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Blobird

Re: Watch out when installing aftermarket wire weels.

Post by Blobird »

Trust me, I've learned the hard way. :-)
Note, aftermarket rims have spokes covered with silicone from the factory.
But keep in mind that you must remove all the sticker on the inside of the rim as well. ::?
Lennart Sahlin Langsele / Sweden
1963 Thunderbird SR Red / Red. Black Canvas Top
1983 T-23 Streetrod Candy-red / Black