Wheel refurb

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

MB63BulletBird

Wheel refurb

Post by MB63BulletBird »

Att a few pics to show you what I am dealing with, but looking for what the original inlay looks like.

Mine looks similar to almost a pearl look, but could it just be a wood inlay? Then it seems all I can find pics of with inlay wheels is 1964 and beyond, and mine is a 63 Landau.

If anyone has any pics or knowledge of this it would be appreciated.

Appreciate any input you all have.

Thanks,
MB
Attachments
Resized_20180618_150041_1054.jpeg
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -Ronald Reagan
MB63BulletBird

Re: Wheel refurb

Post by MB63BulletBird »

another pic
Attachments
Resized_20180618_150247_2407.jpeg
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. -Ronald Reagan
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

and one more...
Attachments
Resized_20180618_150239_4683.jpeg
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

You should contact Alan Tast on this forum. He should know what type of Steering wheel would be installed on your 63 Landau. If memory serves me I remember the Monaco Thunderbird had those extra touches. But Alan can verify this.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Steering wheel pictured used '63 Landaus ex. Ltd. Ed. "Monaco." Insert is silver mylar that yellows with age. '64-'66 used something similar for inlays. At one time John Draxler/Thunderbird Ranch offered a reproduction inlay for ''64-'66 wheels, not sure if he had any for '63 Landau wheels. To restore the wheel you'd have to build up with a plastic resin tinted to match the wheel color, or use epoxy and paint/clearcoat to match, which is difficult to pull off with Tenite plastic that has color all the way through. There are places that restore plastic/Tenite wheels for Mopars and possibly others but they are expensive. Then again, if someone had an NOS wheel in the box it would be very expensive as well. I have yet to see or have anyone submit an article on how to pull off restoration of the wood-toned Landau wheel.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
stove

Post by stove »

I know someone who has a good '63 Landau wheel. PM me..
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

First Alan - thanks so much. You are a wealth of knowledge. Hope you are around here for a long time. No chance I would attempt the refurb by myself, but as you said, it is going to be difficult even for a professional.

Stove - thanks and pm sent.
stove

Post by stove »

Did you receive my PM response(s)? It looks like they are just stuck in my "Outbox" and do not appear to have sent.

~ Steve
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
MB63BulletBird

Post by MB63BulletBird »

Thanks for the lead Stove...look forward to seeing it.