63 Thunderbird Headers

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

omc4u

63 Thunderbird Headers

Post by omc4u »

Hi guys, I know this topic has come up n the past, but when doing my search I found so much it was hard to sort for the newest info.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1. Are the FPA and Sanderson headers the only ones out there?
2. I tried the Sanderson and they hit the power steering box, no one not even Carlos can tell me why.
3. Are any modifications needed with the FPA headers?

Any input on if any thing is needed and what you had to do would be greatly appreciated.
bbogue

Re: 63 Thunderbird Headers

Post by bbogue »

I put the FPAs on my 61 several years ago. I added spacers under the motor mounts as others have done for clearance. 1/4” on the driver’s side, 3/8” on the passenger side. I had an interference between the collector and transmission dipstick tube. We heated and bent the dipstick tube to eliminate the interference. I also used a RobbMc mini starter. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Thanks Bill, is the mini starter a must or did you just want to change? The reason I ask is that Sanderson said a mini starter is required with certain starters, but I lucked out and did not need one, are the mini's required for the FPA's? They are closed till Thursday.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I don’t recall if it was required but the mini starter sure went in easier than I think the OE starter would. There’s also the heat to consider. Just my opinion.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
comrade

Post by comrade »

I went with the smaller starter as well, cannot remember the reason why other than I had the engine out and I was unsure of the age of the unit which was on there but there may have been a secondary benefit with the headers?

Close clearances or none at all in some places. I am right up against the steering box and at the motor mount, up against the engine bay,(hard to explain) to protect from heat I folded up some pipe wrap and placed it betwixt the body/frame on the RH side. LH side was not an issue but the collector exits straight back to the firewall so there is a hell of a bend to drop down to the rest of the system. I put new Mounts in as well but I did not have any interference other than the aforementioned need to use the pipe wrap.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Mr. Moderator, please move this to the 1961-1963 Modified Thunderirds forum.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Sorry, I forget about the modified section.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Alan, you beat me to the punch, this is a MOD item.
We all want to help, please do not think we are against you; by being in the MOD section you will get better feed-back.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible