Radial Inner Tubes - Factory Wire Wheels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Alan H. Tast

Re: Radial Inner Tubes - Factory Wire Wheels

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Follow-up: there were two wheels still giving me fits - one that had the valve stem incorrectly seated, and the spare rim in which the tube got pinched and went flat before I could bring the wheel home. The valve stem issue was easy to fix - deflate, reposition and inflate. The tube required getting another one from Coker and waiting until I could pick it up while getting ready for the trip to the convention in Tulsa. Finally got the tires and rims onto the car this past Sunday morning and drove it to a car show about 8 miles away to evaluate if they got everything balanced ok. Long story short - the car still has a little shimmy that needs to be investigated. I still had some clean-up to do between the spokes and rim once I parked the car so I got my exercise for the day. Surprisingly it came home with a runner-up in class for '58-'64 Stock at a 400+ car show (winner was a stunningly fresh resto of a '58 Dodge Royal Lancer HT).

Walking around the show I saw many of the cars in my grouping with 14" tires and whitewalls were shod with Hankooks, including a '63 Avanti near me that were 205s vs 215s, but he didn't take time to clean his tires. The sidewalls and grooving on them I detest (same way I detest the Goodyear Arriva (?) radials I installed on our hardtop 13 years ago before the drive to the Portland International from Kansas City) - hard to clean, but then again for less than $100/corner for the tires I can live with buying a few bottles of Bleche-White over the next decade or so.
Attachments
IMG_20180722_160212_285.jpg
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Blobird

Post by Blobird »

Interesting and good post Mr. Tast , but there are no pictures of the rims after you have covered the insider with tape, please show us if you have any pictures, thanks.
Lennart Sahlin Langsele / Sweden
1963 Thunderbird SR Red / Red. Black Canvas Top
1983 T-23 Streetrod Candy-red / Black
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

As you were asking...
Attachments
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Blobird

Post by Blobird »

Thanks for the nice pictures Mr Tast, now I see that you have taped all the way to the outer edge where the tire sits, and it seems to have worked for you,Good to know. I allways thought it would be too thick with the tape there, but it seems to have worked for you what I can understand.

Thanks / Lennart Sahlin, Sweden
Lennart Sahlin Langsele / Sweden
1963 Thunderbird SR Red / Red. Black Canvas Top
1983 T-23 Streetrod Candy-red / Black
bulletbirdman

Post by bulletbirdman »

I know this is an old post but I had the problem of my very pricy coker WW's radials of course just blow out while sitting in the garage, Think about this clean the inside of my re-pop wires and paint with FLEX-Seal let em dry and run tubeless.
Red 63 T-Bird
White 62 T-Bird
78 HD LoRider
Blue 78 Cougar
Red & White 77 T-bird
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

bulletbirdman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:37 pm I know this is an old post but I had the problem of my very pricy coker WW's radials of course just blow out while sitting in the garage, Think about this clean the inside of my re-pop wires and paint with FLEX-Seal let em dry and run tubeless.
I do not recommend running a wire wheel tubeless. I don't give a damn what the repop manufacturers say - there's too many penetrations in the rim for the spokes to leak air, regardless of how (and how well) you can try to seal them - even the repop epoxy-coated wheels have been demonstrated to leak air. Wrapping with tape or coating the inside of the rim is primarily to keep the tube from chafing against the spoke nipples and rubbing holes in them. Take your chances if you want, but you can't fight the laws of physics and nature. And you would be well advised to have talcum powder on hand for your installler - don't be afraid to liberally use the stuff (and keep the inside of the tire dry when using it) to make it easier to set the tube in tire and rim.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Better late than never - a few pictures from mounting/balancing and what the original liners looked like.
Original heavy liner shown with tire
Original heavy liner shown with tire
Close-up of original liner. Would have liked to used something similar but couldn't find any, hence the rubber tape
Close-up of original liner. Would have liked to used something similar but couldn't find any, hence the rubber tape
Tire and rim on balancer
Tire and rim on balancer
Checking for balance and placement of self-adhesive weights on the inside of the rim
Checking for balance and placement of self-adhesive weights on the inside of the rim
Clean off the rims and tires after mounting and balancing is done
Clean off the rims and tires after mounting and balancing is done
The talcum power leaves a slimy mess if it gets wet.
The talcum power leaves a slimy mess if it gets wet.
Remember - remove the tags inside the tire
Remember - remove the tags inside the tire
Set of wheels and tires ready to go on car
Set of wheels and tires ready to go on car
Alan H. Tast, AIA
sarapalms

Post by sarapalms »

Hi Alan
Many thanks.. Makes sense to me.

Steve Edwards
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

Just tagging this thread for my own possible future reference; very informative!
Robert E. Jackman

Post by Robert E. Jackman »

I've been running radial tubes from Coker with my B f Goodrich bias ply tires for 32 years without a single problem.
Bob Jackman
member # 4942
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I am in the process of getting new tires for my 63 with original KH wires.

I have tried clicking the link for the 3M tape used as a liner here but the link has expired and I don’t see it listed anywhere other than “liner tape.” Does anyone have an updated link or 3M number for the product? Not having any luck searching.

Thanks!
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
Pcabot3

Post by Pcabot3 »

I just had my tires/tubes mounted on my '63 wire wheels and used 3M tape purchased on Amazon. The shop used 1 & 1/2 rolls of the 1 1/2 inch wide tape.
Screenshot_20240325-161820_kindlephoto-380157589.png
Current-1963 Sport Roadster, Past-1965 Hardtop
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Awesome! Thank you. I think I’m going to go with the Coker American Classics unless others don’t think the difference in appearance as compared to the Hankooks is worth it.
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
Pcabot3

Post by Pcabot3 »

I went with Coker Tire American Classic Radial 1 inch WW. Couldn't find WW Hankooks.
Current-1963 Sport Roadster, Past-1965 Hardtop