Sights Set on '61 Bullet Bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Hobejam

Sights Set on '61 Bullet Bird

Post by Hobejam »

Greetings!

I am very close to purchasing a 1961 T-Bird locally and would appreciate experienced input on potentially hidden problems that I may regret. I know that a car of this age will need work, time, and money, but I would like the opinions of those that have been down the road already as to any surprises I might find.

Here is the info on the car:

1961 Thunderbird
In storage for the last 20 years. Driven occasionally throughout that time.
99,000 on the ODO
Original paint and interior (White / White)
Interior vinyl completely intact and subtle. Carpet in good shape. No rust on floor boards. Dash is flawless. Rear package tray shows cracking.
All trim and chrome present and without pitting with the exception of the fuel door on the rear bumper (missing).
No rust whatsoever (including undercarriage)
Trunk spotless with original liner and spare.
All exterior lights, lenses, and emblems intact and flawless.
Power Steering, Brakes, Windows, and Seats
Engine fires and runs very smoothly with no ominous sounds from the unit.
No leaking fluids or smoke.
Obvious exhaust leak on the passenger side at or near the manifold.
Vinatge "Holley / Ford" valve covers and early 70s air filter / housing. (Owner does not have the original parts).
Factory 4bbl.
Factory A/C present but pulley bypassed. Assume non-functioning.
Power Steering hose leak present.
Brakes functional. Assume thorough flush and inspection needed.
Transmission shifts smoothly.
Swing Away steering column functional. Missing access cover from top of column collar.
Shift lever "loose". Assume repair / replacement needed to shift mechanism within column.
3 of 4 power windows semi-functional. Assume need to repair / replace motor(s) / regulators.
Power seats functional. Trim cracked around switch on Driver's side seat.
Missing one knob on vent select. All others intact and in good shape ("chrome" intact).
All interior trim present and in very good condition.
Headliner intact.
Rear interior courtesy light missing lenses.

I really tried to knit-pick this vehicle and describe those findings here. This is by far the cleanest and best "unrestored" example of this body style I have ever seen. Would love questions and/or feed back on anything I should be wary of trying to fix or of any major oversights that may bite me in the trunk. :) Looking at this as a "long term project" that could be driven home. The price is right in the ballpark when compared to the "projects" and "fully restored" examples here locally.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses!

DS
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Last edited by Hobejam on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
ICON 1956

Re: Sights Set on '61 Bullet Bird

Post by ICON 1956 »

If you purchase the 61 congrats, When I had mine I enjoyed it so much. You will need a few Manuals to help you understand how your car works and were to find your way around any problems that might arise when your working on her.
Here is a photo of what I had. I just wanted to down size on the Bird.....
I recently bought a 1956 Sage Green Thunderbird which I was hunting for a few years
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Hobejam, it sounds like you know what to look for and the photos are gorgeous.

The only red flag I see in your observations is "Obvious exhaust leak on the passenger side at or near the manifold."

If it is an exhaust manifold leak, a repair could be very difficult and costly. I had the same situation when I started going through my '62 two years ago. I thought replacing the manifold gasket would be fairly simple? The 'gotcha' of course was the rusty manifold bolts snapped off.

It is very difficult (if not impossible?) to get any power tools onto the upper manifold bolts! (I even loosened motor mounts and jacked up one side of engine - no luck). So the only recourse was the pull the engine and if pulling, why not go ahead and rebuild? (which I had done)

Anyway, if you are not sure, get a professional opinion on that leak.

Good luck!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

So the only recourse was the pull the engine
if the compression is good, and the engine doesn't smoke, just pull the heads to get the bolts out. If the engine has many miles on it, you could have some oil leaks from the back of the intake manifold anyway. JMO, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Mheiron

Post by Mheiron »

That’s a nice looking car.

The wheels don’t look original.

We can walk you through the exhaust manifold swap, or a shop will charge 750 to 1000 plus the part.

I’d still try to snap it up. If it’s all original as you say it’s a gem.

Thanks for showing it to us. Mind sharing the price? Just curious.
Mark H.
Current bird nest:
1961 Restored Chestnut Convertible
1963 M-code Hard Top - Being restored
1995 White T-bird Super Coupe - Fun Toy