Exhaust smell

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

hemicharger69

Exhaust smell

Post by hemicharger69 »

Is it normal to have exhaust fumes coming out of the oil breather cap? I see exhaust smoke coming out of the hood when sitting idle.

The exhaust smell is horrible in the passenger area. I couldn't find any missing hose connections from manifold, valve covers, carb elsewhere that are leaking exhaust. Not gasoline smell. Not burned oil smell. Exhaust smell.

No huge plumes of white or black smoke coming out the tailpipe. Last year I checked compression in all 8 cylinders and measured about 100psi.
1963 Ford Thunderbird, 390ci 4-bbl, 134K odo, purchased from original family owner Aug 2015.
stevegintn

Re: Exhaust smell

Post by stevegintn »

hemicharger69 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:32 am Is it normal to have exhaust fumes coming out of the oil breather cap? I see exhaust smoke coming out of the hood when sitting idle.
hemicharger69, it's normal for 'fumes' to come out of the breather (that's what's it's made for), but not enough to see smoke from under the hood?

Are you sure you don't have an exhaust manifold leak?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
bbogue

Re: Exhaust smell

Post by bbogue »

Hemi...
Based on the mileage and low compression, I think you’re issue is probably “blowby” (oil blowing by the piston rings and/or valve guide seals). Blowby needs a place to vent, typically a PCV system which returns the gasses to be reburned with fuel and air, or a road draft system which simply vents to the atmosphere. Assuming you have a PCV system, you might check that it is working properly, maybe just replace the pcv and see if you notice a difference. Hint: if the old one doesn’t rattle, it’s likely gummed up. If your engine uses a “draft tube” to exhaust crankcase gases instead of a pcv, about all you can do with it is make sure it isn’t clogged. At idle, car not moving, this system can’t do much since it relies on air moving across the open end of the tube, drawing out the gasses. If the crankcase vent system is ok and since your compression is low, but uniform across the cylinders, you might get by with only replacing the valve guide seals. If yours are original, they are likely crumbling by now. If this doesn’t do it, it’s rebuild time.

Just my opinion from my experience. Yours may vary. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers