Courtesy Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

arunice

Courtesy Lights

Post by arunice »

Hello Folks,

The issue i'm trying to tackle is the interior courtesy lights not working. 1963 t-bird

At first i had no instrument gauge lights. I replaced the headlight switch and they all work now. I have power to all gauges including the clock.

When the door is open, the map light will light up. I can also turn it on via switch with the door closed, however the courtesy lights in the doors and rear seat do not illuminate. The bulbs are good no voltage to socket.

checking the fuse panel, in the passenger kick panel, i only find one blown. The 2amp for the clock. The clock still works though and i have power at the blue wire. I've tested all other fuse connections and have voltage at all of them. I need to source a new glass fuse to replace it yet but cannot figure out why i don't have voltage to the courtesy lights.

The fuse panel does not look like it's every been tampered with.

Thoughts?
Alan H. Tast

Re: Courtesy Lights

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Check the push-button switches at the door jambs? If contacts went bad inside when the plunger is fully extended that would keep the current from flowing.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
comrade

Post by comrade »

I am having a duplicate issue but everything is working with the exception of the map light which happens to be quite useful (The light that is). It was working fine prior but now I have a short to ground as whenever I plug it in the fuse blows, tried everything, making me so crazy I just walked away from it but need to gather the patience to attack it again. I am generally very good with electrical gremlins but this one has me flummoxed.
arunice

Post by arunice »

Interesting comrade. I wonder where they all combine to check connections then continuity to each light from there. I dont buy the door jam switch theory since it does operate the function of the map light.
comrade

Post by comrade »

Agreed, not related to door switch as all of the other lights work fine. It is something local to that particular switch so I am working back from there but now I am up into where it meets the bundle of insanity up in the dash wiring which is where I lost patience and walked away. Of course it was 90 out as well with humidity in the garage to match. May be a fight for a cooler day?