Steering Knuckle Removal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

hemicharger69

Steering Knuckle Removal

Post by hemicharger69 »

How do I remove the steering knuckle on my 63?

I have all the brake parts removed. The castle nuts off the ball joints are removed. The front end is lifted.

I tried a pickle fork but the tines won't wedge in between the gap not even if I remove the rubber boot.

Is this whole assembly under the force of the spring? Do I need to compress the spring before I proceed with removal.
Attachments
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG
IMG_4628.JPG
IMG_4627.JPG
1963 Ford Thunderbird, 390ci 4-bbl, 134K odo, purchased from original family owner Aug 2015.
Karl

Re: Steering Knuckle Removal

Post by Karl »

G'day.
If you have a look in the workshop manual on page 8-9, (You have a manual don't you). It shows how this is done.
The spring pressure is held by the upper control arm on the sub frame. Just raise the car up until the suspension is hanging free from the ground.
You can make up a simple spreader with a short piece of square steel, drill and tap a 1/2" UNF thread in one end and fit a short bolt in it. In the other end drill a small depression with a 1/2" or larger drill to stop the tool from falling off the stud. Round stock can be used although you will have to use vice grips to hold it from rotating. Basically you use the top ball joint to remove the lower one and the lower one to remove the top one by undoing the bolt in the spreader.
I suppose a large heavy nut and bolt would work to apply pressure to the respective joint and then give the joint a slight hit with a hammer.
Don't try to force the joints apart by just using the tool.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
hemicharger69

Post by hemicharger69 »

Thanks Karl.

The top ball joint popped out after a few hard whacks with a hammer. But, the bottom one was still in there. So I ended up removing the lower control arm with the steering knuckle attached. Then, a few hard whacks it popped out too.
1963 Ford Thunderbird, 390ci 4-bbl, 134K odo, purchased from original family owner Aug 2015.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Good to hear you had success, I try to reduce the amount of hits with a hammer to do work on my car, something comes of second best either the car or myself. Using force in the day may of been OK but years of age on plastic or die cast parts don't stand up to hitting.
There is always more than one way of doing something.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop