Upholstery options

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ICON 1956

Re: Upholstery options

Post by ICON 1956 »

Beautiful ! nice top notch work.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

Looking for recommendations.

Of all the usual Thundrbird parts suppliers, who has the best bucket seat foam replacement? Or is it all the same product from the same manufacturer?

The vinyl is still in good shape but the foam is going. I figure it's better to replace the foam now before it tears the vinyl. And new foam is a heck of a lot easier than losing weight!

Will also need to replace one of the plastic side skirts. I assume you just have to cut out an appropriate hole for the power seat control.

Thanks!
JP
1962 Sport Roadster, '62 Caliber'
VTCI #12717
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

It is just crazy how time flies... or how easily I get waylaid by other matters.

At any rate I finally got my upholstery done... I ended up buying pre-sewn vinyl covers and foam from Bird Nest. Originally I was going to install them myself, but upon further reflection I decided to have a local upholstery shop do the work instead. They say discretion is the better part of valor...

The shop quoted $800 - $1000 but I ended up paying $583 tax included. The quality of the kit seems good and the installation, while not concours (yes I tend to be picky) will be fine for a driver, I think. In any event it will be an improvement over the 59 year old originals.

No pics yet - just picked them up tonight. I need to paint the new skirts I bought, install the skirts and backs, and then I should be ready to reinstall. Well, except I may proceed with some other interior panel refurbishment while the seats are out of the way...

One question: I do need to cut a hole in the skirt for the driver's power seat switch. I don't have the original skirt (thanks, P.O.) so can anyone give me a measurement or two for locating the hole correctly?

Thanks!
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Here you go:
IMG_3270.jpg
IMG_3271.jpg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Steverino

Post by Steverino »

Thanks Jim - you're the BEST!
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
andy2175m4

Post by andy2175m4 »

my experience:

1. in 2007 I got lucky and found a very large piece of black Italian furniture leather for sale in Hollywood, and had my 63 T bird re-upholstered from scratch by a local shop and they did a very good job, I was quite pleased with that, wish I still had that car. It was not that expensive, all said and done less than $1k. and very nice.

2. a year ago for my 1965 T Bird I bought pre-made seat covers in aqua blue from Larry's Thunderbird catalog, I was very impressed with the quality of the pre-made seat covers, the fit was excellent, but taking out the seats, disassembling them and installing the new seat covers was much more difficult than I expected. If I had to do it over, I would not go that route, for an amateur upholsterer like me, it's just too hard. the motorized driver's seat weighs about 100 lb, a gut buster.

3. 71 Mustang....I tried 2 different sets of pre-made upholstery From CJ Pony Parts and did not like the fit at all of either of them, very dis-satisfied. so it's hit or miss with the pre-made.

bottom line: Larry's Thunderbird catalog has excellent upholstery, but I'd recommend you have a shop install it unless you have infinite patience.