Sport Roadster with skirts?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

RickGKY

Sport Roadster with skirts?

Post by RickGKY »

It was my understanding that skirts cannot be placed on a Sport Roadster. This was listed as a Sport Roadster with convincing documentation.
Original California car!
1 of only 455 factory built sports roadsters!
Fully documented, ncluding:
Original gate release. From Beverly hills, alifornia
Vintage thunderbird club of America judging form
Score 289.5 out of 300 points from Vintage Thunderbird club. Search you tube 63 tbird roadster.I have not seen any better for sale. Previously owned by a Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Judge
Attachments
1963-ford-thunderbird-sports-roadster-1.JPG
RAVEN

Re: Sport Roadster with skirts?

Post by RAVEN »

It may be a Roadster, but probably fitted with NON Kelsey wheels.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
RickGKY

Post by RickGKY »

Thanks, but I thought roadsters didn't even have holes or tabs to install skirts. It seems strange a roadster owner would go to the trouble of drilling holes for skirts to make his car look less authentic. I can't understand how it scored do high when judged. I went to the Youtube video and that shows it with a continental kit. Really strange.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Is there any photos of the VIN tag, or the numbers on the passenger side of the radiator core support?? Any one trying to show verification of a genuine SR will gladly show those numbers as proof of authenticity - especially for a 63! Not showing the numbers would be a red flag in my opinion.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
tbird

Post by tbird »

All 61-63 Thunderbirds had pin holes punched in the correct locations when the quarter and outer wheel house panels where stamped. There where no pins installed in the holes if the car was not to have the optional skirts installed, I believe that they also used these holes as locating points when the panels where spot welded together.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

If you can verify the data plate and VIN stamps on the body http://www.tbird.info/thunderbird-stamp ... 8-1966.htm with the gate release then you should be good to go. The gate release will specify sport roadster and all other original factory options, including skirts.

For a 62 SR, skirts were not an option due to clearance issues with original KH wire wheels. However, reproduction KH wire wheels are slimmer and will accept skirts. I thought I read somewhere for 63, the added body crease on the fenders widened the body slightly, allowing space for skirts, but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

For that advertised quality car, take the time to check if the KH wire wheels are original (including the spare). Each wheel should have 48 spokes and a KH stamp. Over 50 spokes equals reproduction.

I'd also check the Thunderbird Registry to possibly verify the history of the car (or add it!)

Good luck. Any chance you can post the VIN or a picture of the gate release here?

JP
1962 Sport Roadster, '62 Caliber'
VTCI #12717
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I would really like to see the paper trail and Vin # to support the SR claim on this car. I hope he can provide it, but I could not find it on the E-pay listing. Lots of words to support authenticity, but yet no photos of any of said documentation or numbers, still seems like a red flag to me. Very nice car, only concerns are the SR status in my book.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I have a 63 roadster that I inherited from my grandfather. He always loved the look of the skirts for whatever reason and did have them added. As others have said, the holes are there and the studs just placed to match with the skirts. As for the wheels, the 63 skirts will not fit with original KH wheels, however there are aftermarket spinner/hub center cabs that are lower profile and these will fit under the skirts on original KH wheels. They look identical except from the side that aren't as tall so as to clear the skirts.
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
63flip

Post by 63flip »

A fella in my club had a '62 SR with skirts & original KH wheels. His was a documented Roadster. A previous owner removed the spinners and had a machine shop cut the back of them down so they didn't stick out as far. It gave enough clearance for the spinner with the skirts on.