New member with an inherited car

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

PrincessGrace63

New member with an inherited car

Post by PrincessGrace63 »

Hello. My father passed away a few years ago from cancer and left me his hobby car, a 1963 Thunderbird Principality of Monaco (number 709). He was actually a member here, but didn't post very much. I know almost nothing about cars. Dad tried to tell me everything I need to know about this car and what it needs, but unfortunately I didn't pick up much about how to actually work on it. I wish I'd spent more time in the garage with him while he worked on it.

I wanted to introduce myself. I have a lot to learn. If anyone knows a good car club in San Diego for me to contact so I can start going in the right direction with the car, I'd love a recommendation. It needs some work and I'm spinning my wheels trying to get it fixed. It's in generally good condition, but my dad was replacing the steering wheel and working on the fuel gauge when he got too sick to finish the work. It's essentially just as he left it, but I'm determined to fix it up. It's a beautiful car.

Thanks for reading. I've been reading here and trying to learn. There's a ton of great information here.
redstangbob

Re: New member with an inherited car

Post by redstangbob »

Welcome to the forum, sorry you lost your dad. There are several guys that really know the 3rd gen cars inside and out, I'll leave it to them to get you through these repairs. We have members literally around the world, there's someone nearby that should be helpful. Post some pics of your tbird when you can. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sorry about the circumstances of obtaining your car, however welcome.
If you scroll through some of the subjects, I sure you will come across some of "tbird" standard replies with all the books to help you with your repairs. In saying this the books are only half of the battle, after reading and studying the books it is always best to talk to other people for their ideas. As they say a pitcher is worth a thousand words.
I live in Australia, it is a bit harder for me as I can't run down the local store to find a part as the Thunderbird was not a import for the Ford Motor Company in Australia. I like to keep my car as original as possible, I even go to the length of making up parts like the original.
All I can say is take your time, study the books and try to find out how the actual part works before jumping in. There is a lot of special tools that are needed, don't try and take a short cut as this may lead to damage to you or your car and frustration.
Again sorry about your father,
All the best with your project.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
PrincessGrace63

Post by PrincessGrace63 »

Thanks for the replies. I feel very honored that my dad chose to leave me the car. It was kind of our thing while he was alive.

I'll do a search for the books. That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of.

Most of my dad's tools are in the car, along with some parts. Hopefully it has the specialty tools, or I can buy them.

Here's a picture of it. It's a little dirty from being in the garage. It's currently getting new tires put on.

Maybe everyone might be interested in how he got it. About 15 years or so ago he was looking for a car to fix up as a hobby. He saw this 1963 T-bird on ebay from California, so he bought it for almost nothing and had it shipped to his home in Montana. When he got it and looked in side he saw the plaque, and immediately knew what it was, even though it wasn't listed as a Monaco.
Attachments
IMG_4277.JPG
tbird

Post by tbird »

Welcome to the VTCI forum. You will find a lot of very knowledgeable people hang around this forum and will be able to help you out with needed repairs. Post the info off you door data plate when you have a opportunity, posted below you will find my canned list of helpful literature your Dad may have already had some of these items.

Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as there were many changes made from one
model year to the other.
Most of these items should be available from your favorite Thunderbird supply house or
directly from Jim Osborn Reproduction, cost will be about 125.00 plus shipping cost
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Sorry for your loss, I know the car is very special. Keep the dream of your father alive. On this forum there are very competent owners that love Thunderbird's. Getting the all the literature will help you know more about your car. Don't be afraid chime in often. Good luck.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Richard

Post by Richard »

If you are looking for a Tbird mechanic and you are in San Diego you may be in luck. Call Ken Harkema at 619 462 6478. I went to a car show in El Cajun last spring and met him. He restores Tbirds . I saw his name on a plaque with his beautifully restored 60 Tbird from a car show and recognized his name from this forum. Wish I were out there so he could work on my car. Funny when I got home and went on his website I saw that he restored a 63 of a man I know here on the east coast..His website.www.kensklassic.com
1965 Hardtop Charcoal Gray Metallic
VTCI#12157
arunice

Post by arunice »

I too just got a 63 bird. This forum is the best place to learn about our cars. To save you a few coins check out fordramair.com . there are a couple free manuals to download as pdfs. i wished i would have found those before buying the ones i have. The website has a 1962 shop manual that the 63 tbird uses anyway. Enjoy.
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
Yes the 63 Bird does use the 62 manual, however in the 63 one there is a supplement in the back which covers all the differences that the 63 has over the 62 car. There is quite a lot of differences.
From personal experience, I prefer to have a manual or book to actually look at. Maybe it is my age but I find it easier to view a book than a screen. I do have a Master Parts Catalog in PDF file but so far I have printed about half of it. Just easier than turning on the computer.

Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

PrincessGrace63, good luck with your treasure! I am going on 2 years now, with my adventure to rescue my '62. she had sat in a warehouse for 10 years, and I purchased for next to nothing. I hope to pass her on to my oldest son, some day? Here she is:
MyTbird.jpg
You are certainly among friends here!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Welcome to the forum. I like red Tbirds! Here are my observations from restoring Fords from the 40s to the 60s

First- Everything is held together by screws, bolts and fasteners. There are no fancy plastic fasteners that break when you take them apart.
Second- The car was assembled on an assembly line with no robotics. Everything is hand assembles so there are lots of tolerances in assembly.
Third- Mechanics that worked on these cars in the 60s and 70s were typically not trained on technical schools but learned a lot from observation and being an apprentice. Technically these cars are not as complex as your 2018 Fusion or Escape. The biggest issue is that a lot of parts are a bit rusty or have not been taken apart in 50 yrs so they require a bit of encouragement to remove.
Fourth almost all parts are available at many Tbird vendors- Birds Next, Larrys Thunderbird, Thunderbird HQ and Macs as well as this forum and Ebay. Get a free catalogue from each vendor. There are also diagrams in them and descriptions that are not in the service manual.
Fifth- As mentioned get manuals . The ultimate need is the Service manual 62/63 and wiring diagram. The others will help in specific trouble shooting issues and ensuring you are historically correct in your restoration.
Finally some good tools are a must. Simple ones like screw drivers of various types and sizes, socket set with a spark plug socket, crescent wrench set, set of pliers an adjustable wrench and an ohm meter with audible continuity will get you mostly there for trouble shooting. Hopefully that is what your dad left for you. That will get you through 90% of any issues on mechanical and electrical in the interior. As you get into repair more a brake spring puller, tachometer, timing light, torque wrench, Infrared thermometer and vacuum gauge will get you through brake jobs, tuning and many other major rebuilds. To get started on many of these can be bought at Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight may not be the best quality for long term hard use but are good for most short term needs at a low price. Others on this forum can chime in on some basic tools I have missed.

Good Luck. Enjoy and with a little patience you can solve any problem that comes up.

MN63
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code