Exhaust Leak Detection

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

GeoffInCarlsbad

Exhaust Leak Detection

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

Hi all:

I could hear a serious chug-chuging sound on the passenger side exhaust manifold area. I needed to verify where the leak really is. I used the following method, with pictures, to do this.

I cleaned out thoroughly my shop-vac. Washed it down inside and out, including the filter. Let it all dry out for 2 hours. Put the hose on the exhaust port, not the vacuum port of the shop-vac and blew out any latent moisture.

I then put the business end of the hose on the starboard (right) side muffler and duct taped it to form a seal.

Opened the hood and armed myself with a spray bottle of soapy water.

Turned on the shop-vac, and retreated to the engine compartment.

Instantly I could hear a whoooshing of pressurized air coming out. I sprayed around the exhaust manifold and lo-&-behold, a between the #1 & #2 plug...bubbles...lots and lots of bubbles.

Someone showed me a sample video on YouTube...go figure.

So I'll be working on that this weekend.
Attachments
Set Up with Shop Vac.jpg
more bubbles.jpg
Lots of Bubbles.jpg
Attach to Muffler.jpg
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
Cliff Rankin

Re: Exhaust Leak Detection

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Interesting trick. I’m surprised the valves did not throw you off pinpointing your leak. May I ask , what is your
Game plan on repairing the leak ?
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
GeoffInCarlsbad

good question. I'm going to try and just loosen the bolts and see if I can slide that metal gasket out from between the manifold and the block, then slide a new one in and see if that helps. It's metal, so I am unsure if I even really want it there.

If not, then I have rethink about how I get that off there. I may have to machine the face of the manifold to ensure good seal.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Nice trick, Please let us know if this was a good fix.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Geoff , are you having isssues ?
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
GeoffInCarlsbad

Hi Cliff:

Loaded question! LOL! No, I have a leak at the joint, and it is probably (i hope) a warped exhaust manifold. I'm going to pull it off some time soon, and see if that is really the issue. Someone also put in a metal gasket, and maybe it's deteriorated. I'd like to machine the manifold and go manifold to block, no gasket if I can. If I'm going to do the passenger side, I MAY pull the drivers side, though that side is good (don't fix something not broken, right?).

I have to bring it to a friend's garage who has a lift, and that should help me manage this. But, what I am considering is just taking those manifolds off and going with headers. Looks like a few folks have gone that route with varying results. Sanderson seems to be the vendor of choice, but....I don't know how much trouble I want to get into.

if you have some sage wisdom regarding the manifold and or the header issue, please share.

Best regards,

~g
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

The biggest issue is getting the bolts loose from the head
Without snapping off. If you are lucky and do. Replace them and clean up the threads. The metal gasket I believe
Are factory , you can plane and go without. Or you can buy the gaskets from the t bird house like Wilson and be done with it.
I Learned the hard way on my 63 and had
To fix my 64. This can be an straightforward job on other cars and a can of worms on these. If you are lucky
On one side I would not dig into the other just for good
Measure.
My thoughts
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
GeoffInCarlsbad

So I brought it to my mechanic shop today, where I can get this up on a lift. My plan is to loosen the motor mounts and raise up the motor enough to let me get the bolts out. I have ordered some new bolts, so those should be arriving soon.

What I'd like to do is remove the metal gasket, machine the manifold and place it directly on the motor. That's the plan. I'll know more in a couple of days.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Geoff, been there / done all that - had a bad passenger-side manifold leak when I first got my '62 running, and *thought* it would be an easy fix to replace the gasket. With a helper, we loosened motor mounts and lifted engine to where I could get a socket on. All the lower bolts came right out, but first 2 on top - snap!

That's really the only reason I decided to go ahead and get it rebuilt (but you may recall, what a freaking NIGHTMARE that was?).

I had the builder replace manifolds with the Sanderson 'shorty' headers. Not sure if they did it before or after engine install?
But he did tell me when I picked it up, there's a small leak on one side, due to 'warped header' (which I would have returned to Sanderson, if I was not sick to death of the unscrupulous builder). I can hear a tapping, so I guess that's it?

Anyway, good luck on getting your manifolds removed, and let me know how it shakes out?
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Maybe I will try your method, to pinpoint my new leak? :smile:
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
comrade

Post by comrade »

Interesting trick, your neighbors must have seen this and had a WTF moment?

My horror story is such. I also had a leak, purchased new manifolds (along with gaskets and new bolts) as I felt that after all of these years a warp was more than likely?

Even after a good soaking in penetrating oil the bolts were a bear to remove. The 1st two on the right bank were removed, albeit begrudgingly but the next three broke off at the head. I shut the hood, sent it to the shop, I ended up with headers as well. Good luck.

I still have new exhaust castings and bolts sitting on my bench.
GeoffInCarlsbad

Ok, update....

Well, pushed up the motor, got a socket around the first bolt, and SNAP! Off with its head while my knuckles slammed into the plenum. Just great. So, I knew I was in trouble right there. I don't have the tools to drill out the old bolt and re-tap so I had to get it over to the shop and have my mechanic do that. So, I have to admit had to give him the work.

When we did get the manifold off, it was badly warped, and the metal gasket was just burnt out, creating a mess, right? Then I also noticed that one of the flanges for the bolt had cracks on each side, and was being held together by who knows what...tried machining it but it wasn't really worth it because of that crack. I know as soon as I put it all back together, then it was going to break off and I would be back to square 1. So what?

Well, that what was a drive out to Larry's T-Birds to pick up his last RH exhaust manifold, drive it back to the shop and re-install. That was the easy part, but upon start up, it ran like a dream (thanks to new carb & distributor etc), and sounded how it is supposed to sound....

~g
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Glad to hear it's resolved, Geoff! (though not at all surprised at the process)

If you don't mind my asking, what did the replacement manifold set you back? (as I said, I have my old ones - don't have a clue what they are worth)

Steve
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
GeoffInCarlsbad

More than the labor my mechanic charged me! :eggface:

The RH Exhaust Manifold was brand new, and it cost me $287.50, plus the 1 hour each way to Larry's. I was looking for an excuse to go up there anyway. And their catalogue price was in line with everyone else's for a NEW part. Many folks try to sell those USED for around $200, if they are clean, without any cracks...
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

GeoffInCarlsbad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm More than the labor my mechanic charged me! :eggface:

The RH Exhaust Manifold was brand new, and it cost me $287.50, plus the 1 hour each way to Larry's. I was looking for an excuse to go up there anyway. And their catalogue price was in line with everyone else's for a NEW part. Many folks try to sell those USED for around $200, if they are clean, without any cracks...
OK, thanks for the info (I would part with mine for HALF that 'going rate', plus shipping, of course)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N