Paint Requirement, Instrument Housing and Bezels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

jrbudwig

Paint Requirement, Instrument Housing and Bezels

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Forum,

Planning on refinishing (chrome and paint) the Instrument Cluster Housing and Instrument Bezels.

Looking for an off the shelf Spray Paint that matches the Powder Blue (see the following image) located on the inside of the Housing and Bezels.

Thank you and look forward to the comments!
Attachments
Bezel
Bezel
Instrument Cluster Housing
Instrument Cluster Housing
55Greg&Amy

Re: Paint Requirement, Instrument Housing and Bezels

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Our local automotive paint supply companies can color match and put it in a rattle can. I think that would be your best bet for a good match.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your quick response.

Great idea - have checked with a local Automotive Paint supplier and they too can mix color in a Spray can, unfortunately it is $100/can and only water based here in wonderful California.

All the Best,

Jonathan
stove

Post by stove »

You need to try a different supplier... They are "full of it".
I'm in Cali, and I have TWO suppliers who do the rattle cans for like 20-25 buck each, all day every day, and any product you so choose.
I do agree the Gestapo is tough here, but this is one area they haven't put the screws completely down on... yet.
1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Stove,

Have been sitting on a response for the last week and a half until I was able to post a picture – the label is for generic can.

Initially was hoping for a Forum recommendation of an “off-the-shelf” color that somehow I might have overlooked.

Prior to posting the original post, realized that might be a challenge given my previous due diligence.

End of last year, had contacted a Paint Supplier that I have used for many years with their comment that, “only water base” is available at $100/can.

Realized that was not a solution, placed the project on hold for a while.

So with Greg’s comment picked up the phone and called a new Paint Supplier at the North end of the county that represents Transtar Autobody Technologies, Inc. paints and was rewarded with positive results.

They were able to provide an excellent low V.O.C. spray paint match for the semi-gloss (Instrument Housing, Speedo and Fuel Bezels) and flat (Clock) at $25/can.
Transtar Autobody Technologies semi-gloss and flat spray paint.
Transtar Autobody Technologies semi-gloss and flat spray paint.
With the paint match, have all of the material to proceed forward and have a replacement Instrument Housing and the three (3) Bezels chromed allowing for the semi-gloss black, argent and powder blue paint applications.

Thank you again for your and Greg’s comments!

All the Best,

Jonathan
tbird

Post by tbird »

Who was the paint supplier that you got the paint from, email and phone number would also help.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I get mine locally. Their minimum order is a quart then you choose how many rattle cans you want out of that. Usually I get 4 rattle cans and there’s a small amount left in the quart to be used as touch-up paint. Total cost for 4 rattle cans and remainder of quart is under $75.
Last edited by 55Greg&Amy on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Jim,

With respect to your request,

PROFINISH AUTO PAINT SUPPLIES  
13880 Harbor Blvd Unit 6F, Garden Grove, CA 92843
Hours: Opens 8:00 AM (PST)
(714) 554-4353

I dropped off a Speedometer and Clock Bezel for match.

Sprayed the semi-gloss and flat while at the store on the two Bezels that I dropped off - even when wet there was an excellent color match.

With a 30 minute drive back home there was no color change.

Hope this is of assistance.

All the Best,

Jonathan
tbird

Post by tbird »

Jonathon

Thanks for the info.

Does the paint have a formula number and is it waterborne or enamel?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Jim,

With my previous paint supplier, when they mixed a paint they would provide a formula on the can - did not need to ask.

So did not ask when I dropped off the Bezels and assumed with this new paint supplier that they would have also placed a formula on the can.

They didn't and when I picked the cans up, I did not ask because the 7.5 oz would cover all of the items for the project (Instrument Housing and three Bezels) with a remainder.

What I can tell you is that it is a Transtar Base Coat 1K Enamel with maybe a few adjustments to dial the color in.

If you really need the formula, I have another color to be mixed.

Might get up there in the next few weeks where I can bring the Bezels along with the cans and have them test and provide a formula.

Let me know what you would prefer.

All the Best,

Jonathan
tbird

Post by tbird »

Jonathon

If you could get the formula that would be great but if they tweaked something that was existing they may not of marked it down. I always try to get the formula if I can, having the formula has saved me more than once when something has been dropped as they may still have the need paint but the formula is no longer on the mix computer.

This paint for the instruments was something on my todo list for my 62 restoration but it is a long way from Cali to Manitoba to get a couple of rattle cans.

Thanks for the help
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
jrbudwig

Post by jrbudwig »

Hello Jim,

Drove over to Profinish in Garden Grove yesterday afternoon for another color mix and brought along the powder-blue semi-gloss and flat cans that were purchased earlier for the Instrument Housing and Bezels; with the hope of finding a cost effective solution for obtaining the formula.

As you are aware, the best time for obtaining a formula for a color match is at the time of blending.

As mentioned earlier, the powder-blue semi-gloss and flat color matches were the first time using Profinish and I assumed based upon my previous experiences over the years that the cans would have a formula.

Profinish stated that they would be able to provide a formula with the purchase of two additional cans totaling $50.00 - I did not see their offer as a cost effective solution.

If in the future I have another need for the powder-blue material, I will post the formula.

Hindsight, I should have not assumed and asked so that I would be able to have helped you.

So what is the “value at this point” given that I was not able to locate an “off-the-shelf” product,

1) Transtar Autobody technologies, Inc, offers a solution in a Transtar Base Coat 1K Enamel.
2) With any color match even with a formula bring along a part if available or a color sample to match.

Bringing the discussion full circle with the powder-blue, Fig-1 is the Ford Motorcraft material that will be used for the Argent accent trim.

Again sorry I was not be able to provide you with a formula for the powder-blue.

Fig-1. Motorcraft Argent Spray Paint P/N: PM-19K207-AA
Fig-1. Motorcraft Argent Spray Paint P/N: PM-19K207-AA

Hope that some of the above is of assistance.

All the Best,

Jonathan
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Have you tried a better-stocked hobby shop and checked their paint section? I have gotten small spray cans in a variety of colors for detailing items that way.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird

Post by tbird »

Thanks for the efforts in getting a formula for the blue used in the instrument bezel your Ford part number for the Argent may help me in obtaining that. I also need paint for the 62 Valve covers and Air Cleaner.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars