Messed up door panel

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Techneure

Messed up door panel

Post by Techneure »

The door panel on the drivers side door popped out of the chrome trim for the second time this month. It looks as though the panel is two small for the door by just the slightest bit. It's rough around the edges and it is splitting a little bit. It's a real pain because it drops a little bit so the door gets stuck closed and I have to remove the whole panel to fix it. The whole panel is all messed up but they are so expensive to replace, so I want to prolong it as long as I can. The other weird thing is that one for had the early 62 panel and the other side has the late 62 model, I only noticed it recently when I was working on it, could that make a difference? Is there supposed to be a peice of trim on the bottom edge because the panel also can be pulled a little outward? Anyway the main question is how can I get the panel to stay on the door?
tbird

Re: Messed up door panel

Post by tbird »

There should be a J shaped metal retainer screwed to the metal inside door structure. The lip on the bottom of the door panel is placed into the J when the panel is installed.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars