Harmonic Balancing Pulley

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ICON 1956

Harmonic Balancing Pulley

Post by ICON 1956 »

Since the weather has been in the low sixties in the Midwest I thought I would take out the car for a nice fall cruse. During my ride I heard a tapping and smelled rubber. I pulled over and found that the lower harmonic balancing pulley had a slight wobble Lucky I wasn't that far from home, I managed to take her to my mechanic's garage he confirmed that it was the harmonic balancing pulley needed to be replaced. He would have to pull the radiator out and remove the pulley. Has anyone had this experience my mileage on the clock is 86,000 miles. Would this be the one I need to order ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRANK-SHAFT-HA ... 0005.m2219
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RedBird64

Re: Harmonic Balancing Pulley

Post by RedBird64 »

Personally, I would not install a vintage OEM dampener unless it has been rebuilt. The rubber will be petrified and it wont do much good for your eng. It's just as likely to slip or start coming apart too.
There are aftermarket units that work much better or you can have the old one rebuilt.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Hello Icon.
I haven’t done this myself but I understand the harmonic balancer with integral pulley is somewhat unique to early 60’s Fords. My engine has a rebuilt damper installed by a previous owner. Damper Doctor is a source for reconditioned balancers I have read good things about, although some have complained that they did not get back the same part they shipped. If you’re interested in keeping your car original, this service, or one like it may be of interest. Prices appear to be similar to the one in your eBay link. As noted, a call to make sure you get back your part may be warranted.

Good Luck.

Bill

Addeded by edit: P.S. - Mac’s appears to have new replacement dampers for $100.
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks for your response, I'm not that picky about keeping a part that obscure as OEM. Who will know that I've replaced it.
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RLZegers

Post by RLZegers »

I sent mine to Damper Doctor a few years back. They rebuilt it and sent it back Seems really nice. I don't remember what it cost but I'm thinking it was around $100. www.damperdoctor.com
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

One note on the aftermarket units; they are larger in diameter than the stocker so if there's anything close to it, you may have a clearance issue.
I had to grind a little off my alt. bracket.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks for the update, I'll see what after market Pulley he gets. I'll be there to help assist and learn . I've seen the video's on how to remove the Harmonic balancing pulley...I just don't have the room in my garage to do it properly...
VTCI Member # 12309
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

This evening I got my Bird back, she purrs like a kitten. I also had the tail pipe hangers installed. now the exhaust system is fully secured.
VTCI Member # 12309
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

As I stated on my previous thread back in September these are the tail pipe hangers that were once on my car, now these are the exact ones fully restored back on the car... again not to confuse the muffler hangers from the tail pipe hangers.
VTCI Member # 12309