Aftermarket Wheel Skirt Clearance

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

BlueBird62

Aftermarket Wheel Skirt Clearance

Post by BlueBird62 »

Hello,

This past summer my brakes failed me. Instead of trying to track down the leak and fixing it, I decided this would be a good excuse to update to disc brakes. :mrgreen: So this fall I have been collecting the parts needed for the switch and I am going to begin the project this winter.

I always loved the look of chrome wheels and white wall tires. I bought four 15" x 7" chrome Wheelsmith wheels. The back space is 4 - 1/4". (2 - 3/4" front spacing).

I haven't got tires yet. Is there any advice on what tire specs to get so that I can still run my fender skirts? Anyone have similar situations on their cars? I plan to ask my tire guy for his opinion. Just wondering if anyone has had any particular luck... Or if this is a lost cause.

Thanks!

-Jesse
ozbird

Re: Aftermarket Wheel Skirt Clearance

Post by ozbird »

hi Jesse,

I have a 62 tbird with discs/rotors/calipers off a 66 tbird - is your setup the same, does not say in your post?

First thing to check if you do have those discs is to test fit the wheels to the stubs with calipers installed, mock it up on your workbench. The thing is I don't know what the wheels look like so you need to make sure they will clear the caliper and not waste your time and money.

If good so far, Ford equipped the 1966 Thunderbird with a 215/75R15 tire which is on my car and fits with skirts as well.

Have a look at this link, might be of use https://www.rimsntires.com/packages.jsp ... h%20skirts

p.s I have Ridler 17" on my car now.

Post a photo of those wheels and good luck.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

My 15X7 Magnum 500’s from Wheel Vintiques appear to have the same backspace (4 1/4”) as the ones you are considering. I wanted more backspace but Cragar’s version was backordered when I made my purchase a few years ago. I’m using 225/70R15 BFG T/A tires on my 61. Circumference is very close to original bias ply tires. Skirt clearance is tight at the front of the tire and I got a little tire rub on harder left turns until I made some suspension and alignment improvements. Details are in one of the responses here...viewtopic.php?f=23&p=93437#p93437

Don’t be surprised if this post is moved to the Modified section.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Don’t be surprised if this post is moved to the Modified section/quote]

Haha :crazyeyes: have a great day guys
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thanks to all who have posted modified options for our birds, It's good to know. :mrgreen:
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

I put 215/75R15 American Classic Radials w/the 2.5" wide white walls. These are mounted on Kelsey-Hayes replica 15" wire wheels. Look great, but need TLC to keep the chrome nice & shiney! It's not the tires that keep the fender skirts off but the center piece hub cap that would not allow the skirts to mount properly.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
BlueBird62

Post by BlueBird62 »

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

@ozbird I have test fitted the wheels and calipers and all is well (thankfully). the rotors are 70's era granada parts. I will definitely look into the 215/75R15 tires!

@bbogue I appreciate the feedback!