Coil Spring Compressors

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Mheiron

Coil Spring Compressors

Post by Mheiron »

Just finished installing the coil springs on my '63 hardtop. No injuries but a lot of sweat. It took a 1/2 day to do each spring.

I still need to add the purple stripe but that will be trivial!

Thought I'd leave a few notes or tips for the next guy.

I've read the '63 with A/C has bigger springs than a '61 or '62 so this might just apply to the '63.

These springs are big and heavy. They require a fair amount of muscle to get them in place. I'm in shape and 60 and it took about all I had working alone.

I removed the springs with the small hook type compressor and installed them with the larger Moog t-469. I think removal works with the smaller unit as the spring starts partially collapsed. As the hook type compressor stroke in, it doesn't have to travel as far. You do have a problem releasing the tool from the spring and I think it has to be released with some residual tension on the spring or take it to the nearest shop and they can compress the spring enough to release the compressor.

Based on what I learned, I'd recommend the large Moog t-469 for both jobs. I rented the Moog I used from Tom Chitwood (386-290-9982).

I read the service manual and everything in the forum prior to starting this job but I still had to learn as I went.

The first thing was that I found you had to remove the upper A-arm shaft from the two mounting bolts and swing the upper A-arm out of the way (on its ball joint) to get the long spring into position to engage the spring compressor. On starting the install, the spring actually starts out sitting on the lower control arm. My sway bar had not had the links re-installed yet so you may have to remove the links and loosen the bar. I did not have to remove my brake lines. They stayed in place.

I learned the Moog compresses the spring using the upper spring pocket. You don't start on the bench and carry a compressed spring to the car, its all done in place. Once compressed you can swing the upper arm into place and bolt up the shaft. You work the ears of the A-arm into place past the bottom of the spring. It took a bit of muscle for sure! The two shaft bolts need to be torqued fully before starting to raise the A-arm as the bolts are covered by the A-arm once its raised up.

On installation, the spring starts with a curvature or bow out away from the car when you start compressing it. Towards the end of compression the spring coils go into full contact and the spring straightens. This is required to be able to get the inner spring "fence" of the A-arm to engage the ID of the spring and still allow the the shaft to start engagement of the mounting bolts.

So anyway, I'm glad to have that job behind me. On to pulling the engine and tranny next,

Hope something here helps the next guy.
Mark H.
Current bird nest:
1961 Restored Chestnut Convertible
1963 M-code Hard Top - Being restored
1995 White T-bird Super Coupe - Fun Toy
rgebbie

Re: Coil Spring Compressors

Post by rgebbie »

where did you purchase your coil springs?

regards,
rich
RedBird64

Re: Coil Spring Compressors

Post by RedBird64 »

Nice work. That's one of those jobs it's good to have behind you :drinking:
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.