Craigslist 63 convertible: Thoughts

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

dtcohen

Craigslist 63 convertible: Thoughts

Post by dtcohen »

Since acquiring the 61 Thunderbird that is in sad shape I have been perusing craigslist for other cars. I came across this one and it caught my interest. I thought about going to take a look at it, but it is a couple hour drive. I figured I would post it here so some of you experts could see if there is anything noticeably wrong with the car before I waste a day going to look at it.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5621542285.html
ozbird

Re: Craigslist 63 convertible: Thoughts

Post by ozbird »

Hmmm,

is it a convertible or a hard top with the roof removed...need to know more as not clear from the images or description?

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
60fore

Post by 60fore »

By "roadster clone" I assume the seller means it's a convertible with a tonneau cover. At the price it would be a decent deal assuming the body is solid.

It is an A/C car but the underhood components are missing, and the power steering fluid reservoir is in an odd position. Cars with A/C had the reservoir located on the left inner fender. Looks like it has a rebuilt original style Autolite carb. The mismatched seat upholstery color is an obvious flaw but that's easy enough to fix.

If you care about returning the car to as-built appearance there's a lot of work to do in the engine bay ie. inner fenders not body color, engine wrong color etc. but if you just want a good driver those things could be lived with.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Looks like a true drop top to me. Notice the big gaps on the front and the water hose beside the car. I would tell him it is a long way for you to come and purchase the car. Have him email better pics full pics. I don't like cut off pics
That hides stuff. I have gone so far as to send examples of what I want to see. Have him send you pics of the plates in the door jam too. Also
Tell him you want pic of the bad points.
So you don't waste each other's time.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Peddller

Post by Peddller »

It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want something to drive it may suit your needs. This car has a lot that is not correct about it and would not be a good candidate for showing. These cars are expensive to work on even if you can do the labor yourself so proceed with caution. I don't agree with the sellers math as far as return on investment with what you will have to put in the car to make it correct. The biggest thing is the body which we can't tell much about, if it is solid you may have something you can work with, if it is full of Bondo forget it.
Bill Clark
Bel Air, Maryland
1957 F code
2005 50th anniversary
1963 Avanti R2
1956 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo
Prior Birds
1963 M code SR
1964 Convertable
1965 convertible
gyoungwolf

Post by gyoungwolf »

As you can probably tell, the A/C has been removed and it has later model wheel covers. It is probably worth it if the top works properly and there is not a lot of bondo. Let me know if you decide to part out your other one :-).
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
jrfjr

Post by jrfjr »

Peddller wrote:It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want something to drive it may suit your needs. This car has a lot that is not correct about it and would not be a good candidate for showing. These cars are expensive to work on even if you can do the labor yourself so proceed with caution. I don't agree with the sellers math as far as return on investment with what you will have to put in the car to make it correct. The biggest thing is the body which we can't tell much about, if it is solid you may have something you can work with, if it is full of Bondo forget it.
I'm not sure I like his math either. Check out the link to the BaT auction that I put on your original thread. That was a very nice driver, and went for $22K. Basically a partial Sports Roadster clone, with some M code stuff done to the engine.

That being said, I agree that if the top and hydraulics and relays are new and working properly, and the body/paint look good, and aren't hiding any holes stuffed with newspaper and Bondo, it might be worthwhile. The dash pad (cover?) looks funny to me, like it has been painted or dyed, the door panels look a bit strange without the aluminum panels, and might be cheesy replacements (or not). Check the floors for rust!

As another data point, here's a '63 coupe, from BaT on Tuesday. $13.5k, and really nice! I had to sit on my hands...really!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-ford-thunderbird/

It might be a good car, but Caveat Emptor! (I would definitely give it a good look, but I am a sucker for '63 convertibles!). Jim
Jim
'63 Landau, Corinthian White w/white vinyl top, red interior
VTCI #12527