Fuel not getting to the fuel pump

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Anthony1234

Fuel not getting to the fuel pump

Post by Anthony1234 »

Hi all , just got my new bird 1962 over the weekend and all was good . Started well ( half a crank ) but fuel was low . Noticed when I purchased the car there was no fuel filter . Ordered a fuel pump with filter and it was a pretty easy install . But ! Before this happened my fuel was low in the car , went to the gas station and put in 30$ of 94 gas . That's pretty much the best and cleanest gas and added a bit of lead additive . Ran the car for 1 hour then the car stalled on me and did want start . I thought that maybe the diaphram on the old fuel pump went so I replaced the fuel pump and still no luck. I filled up the carb with gas and immediatly responded. Then stalled ! I checked my line no pinch and thinking maybe it's my fuel sender .. ( hope not ) or maybe by adding gas a dislodged some gunk and the line blocked . Anything I could do before actually removing the tank ?? Thanks !!!
novanutcase

Re: Fuel not getting to the fuel pump

Post by novanutcase »

Anthony1234 wrote:Hi all , just got my new bird 1962 over the weekend and all was good . Started well ( half a crank ) but fuel was low . Noticed when I purchased the car there was no fuel filter . Ordered a fuel pump with filter and it was a pretty easy install . But ! Before this happened my fuel was low in the car , went to the gas station and put in 30$ of 94 gas . That's pretty much the best and cleanest gas and added a bit of lead additive . Ran the car for 1 hour then the car stalled on me and did want start . I thought that maybe the diaphram on the old fuel pump went so I replaced the fuel pump and still no luck. I filled up the carb with gas and immediatly responded. Then stalled ! I checked my line no pinch and thinking maybe it's my fuel sender .. ( hope not ) or maybe by adding gas a dislodged some gunk and the line blocked . Anything I could do before actually removing the tank ?? Thanks !!!
If I remember correctly the steel line from the tank is connected with a rubber hose to the tank itself. I would take the steel line off the hose that goes to the tank and pump and blow it out with some high pressure air to make sure you have no blockage before dropping the tank. If there is blockage then you can be sure something in the tank is causing it and can drop the tank with confidence that you've diagnosed the problem.

I'm a little confused by your post. In the first part of the post you say you bought a fuel pump and filter then later on you say that you thought the old fuel pump diaphragm might have been bad and you replaced the fuel pump!! Didn't you already replace the fuel pump and filter?

If filling the carb started the car it could also be the needle valves in the carb sticking shut and not letting gas into the float bowl.

I had an issue with the fuel pump when I had my '61 and it was a bad diaphragm. I installed a new pump but I also spliced in a pressure gauge right after the pump to monitor the performance of the pump and make sure it was pumping at the correct PSI . I installed see through inline fuel filters right before the pump and right before the carb to make sure whatever gunk that made it through the line from the tank or didn't foul up the pump. The one before the carb was to make sure that any pieces from the diaphragm or whatever else that could chunk off from the pump didn't make it to the carb itself.

Also, as far as I understand it the number on the grade gas pertains to how much octane the gas has not how clean it is. The base gas is the same. They just add the appropriate amount of octane to it.

John
Professional Pic Whore

Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Hi, yes the problem started with the old fuel pump . This is why I thought initially the fuel pump was problematic and changed it . I also wanted to change it since the old fuel pump did not have a filter so was worried that my carb was going to fill up with gunk ! I also noticed and confirmed that years ago there was a fuel leak and the previous owner fixed the line . Now my line goes from flex from the tank to a steel pipe back to a rubber hose all the way to the front wheel back to steel then flex to the pump! By the back wheel there is a flex coming out of the tank to the steel line . I will disconnect it and try to see what is causing the blockage . My question is if I disconnect it and pump the gas peddle should gas come out ?
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Anthony1234 wrote:My question is if I disconnect it and pump the gas peddle should gas come out ?
Hi Anthony. Best wishes with your new-to-you TBird. Fuel flow is controlled by gravity, vacuum and pressure. Assuming the fuel tank vent (near the filler) is open, and the level of fuel in the tank is higher than the point where you break the fuel line, fuel should flow by gravity out of wherever you broke the line. When the engine is turned over (by cranking with the starter or running the engine) the fuel pump creates a vacuum upstream, sucking fuel from the tank. At the same time, the pump creates pressure downstream, pushing fuel toward the carburetor. Pumping the gas pedal opens and closes the throttle plates in the carburetor and operates the accelerator pump in the carburetor. Exercising the accelerator pump primes the engine before starting or increases richness when accelerating. So "No" to your question.

Are you certain you installed the pump correctly? The pump's arm goes under an "eccentric" inside the engine which operates the arm which operates the pump. So, when installing the pump, the pump is at first higher than the arm, then as the pump nears the block it becomes level again so its flange rests flat against the block. You might feel a little pressure from the eccentric as it applies pressure to the end of the arm, as you install the pump and bring it flush with the block.

If you break the fuel line upstream of the pump and you have fuel, next is to test the pump. Break the line somewhere downstream of the pump and then crank the engine. Fuel should flow. If not, the pump or its installation is to blame.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Thank you !!! Really excited to get her going again !!! The pump was installed properly , I see that the rubber fuel line under the door ( which was replaced) is now heavy ! I am charging my battery since by cranking it went down to 56 percent. Let's hope she fires up, I will keep you posted !
Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Ok so removed the fitting by the back wheel that connects my steel line to my hose . ( remember that my steel line was replaced with a hose ) and no gas came out of the steel line coming from the pump. I blew some air into the line a few times and it started leaking as a Sid !! Try to start up but no luck , just cranks ! Next I will remove the hose from the pump !
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

When you broke the line near the tank, did fuel come out of the stub from the tank?

So, fuel came out of the line between the tank and the pump only when you blew a little air into it. Maybe you dislodged a blockage or maybe there wasn't enough slope (unlikely) in the line for fuel to flow by gravity.

I wonder how old those rubber lines are. Ethanol fuel is not friendly to older fuel lines. If you find that a blockage is in the lines, I suggest you replace them with better lines.

In the end, if you break the connection at the carburetor, you want fuel flowing there when you crank the engine.

Pay attention to what John and other experts advise on this board. They know their stuff.

Again, good luck.

Bill

Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Ok so !!! I removed the rubber line from the fitting to the fuel pump ! Cleared the line , plugged it back and voila it worked !!!! Left the car running for one hour and then it stalled again unable to restart ! I am pulling out my hair ! I will repeat my steps but I am thinking there is gunk in my tank !
Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Ok !! So I left the car alone for an hour or so . Came back tried to start her up , nothing ! Open the carb cap primed the throttle hear gas come out ! Started her up first shot ! Now i am clueless !!! Could it be I have a compression problem too?
gyoungwolf

Post by gyoungwolf »

HI. Suggest checking the choke plate in the carb to make sure it is moving freely. It doesn't take much for this style carb not to work if the accelerator pump is not working or the choke is not setting properly. It is also possible to get a crack in the rubber line an cause a loss of suction (vacuum). I also suggest loosening the plastic choke cover (note the position) and turn it both ways to see if the choke plate moves with it. Hope this helps.
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS
Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Hi all !! Thank you for all your help it's really appreciated ! So tonight I started her up perfect ! I ran her for a good 45 min until she stalled !!! But !!!!!!!! This time I think my battery was not holding charge ! After it stalled it did not want to even crank ! The wires to the voltage regulator were hot and so was the wires to the battery terminal .. I guess this is normal ! So it seems that the gas getting to the carb but I may have a faulty battery . Will change the battery tomorrow !
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Anthony, I am no expert, particularly where electrical issues are concerned, but I would think that hot wires and a hot voltage regulator are not normal. Also, running the engine for long periods at idle may be the cause of your weak battery, particularly if you have the original generator installed and it is putting out less power than the engine is using. I have read how the generator light on these cars would often come on at traffic lights back in the day. I think you need a mechanic with some electrical smarts to help you on this issue.

Also, keep an eye on your engine temperature if it is idling for long periods. An infrared temperature sensor pointed at the top radiator hose would be better than the stock gauge as it may not be accurate. Mine wasn't until I replaced the constant voltage regulator. I'm not so sure that idling for long periods is much of a test anyway if you suspect fuel delivery issues since fuel usage at idle is pretty low.

Bill

Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

Yes , I think your right !! I just wanted to test the fuel line but I think running the car for long periods the generator dies not generate what the battery requires ! Eventually I will switch to alternator !
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

An easy test to make sure your engine is charging sufficiently.
With your multimeter set to DC volts and the engine running, put the multimeter positive lead to the positive battery post and the multimeter negative lead to the negative battery post. If you don't register at least 13 volts or so you are likely pulling down your battery. Increasing idle rpms may help.

Bill

Anthony1234

Post by Anthony1234 »

On idle it runs around 13 when I give gas it goes up over 14