Deck lid open

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

orthodoc

Deck lid open

Post by orthodoc »

On my 1963 roadster I've been having some issues with the top. To start, everything is in proper alignment as far as the screws. The top was working great last fall, but the car sat in winter storage until this weekend.

The problem:
When going to retract the top, the deck unlock works properly and fires the screws to raise the deck. Then, these just continue to spin and it sound like the pump doesn't kick in to initiate the "deck lid open" phase. However, with careful gentle lifting by two people while a third fires the switch, the lid is lifted ~1" and then the pump too over and worked fine. The top fully retracted without issue.

Further, the left deck closed limit switch seems to be working, as when the top is open I push it and the courtesy light goes on and off as I push the plunger of the switch.

After sitting overnight, the deck lid then unlocked and opened properly tierce the top. However, when I went to double check, the same thing happened again when trying to retract the top. The cycle was stuck in the dec unlock phase and was easily bumped to the deck lid open phase with some gentle lifting.

The fluid is not low in the pump.

I have looked at the square birds diagram and yes, I own all of the manuals and have reviewed, I'd just like some input from others. Is this most likely a sticky relay or a switch that is working only intermittently? The deck open relay and left deck closed limit switch are used for both the top retract and erect correct? I can understand why it works one way but consistently gets stuck the other way.

Thanks for any thoughts!
1963 Thunderbird Roadster Convertible
"Rangoon Red"
tbird

Re: Deck lid open

Post by tbird »

Sounds like your deck open switch has gone a bit out of adjustment. If you have all the manuals why would you be lookingat the square bird manual to troubleshoot your 63?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I had just looked up the square bird site as I didn't have my books with me that day and that was all I could find online.

Anyway, aren't the 2 deck open switched located on the rear hinges and trigger the motor fortune flipper lid? His is all working fine. I was thinking maybe the deck lid close switch in the front passenger side, but as I said, the courtesy light clicks on when the screws are done unlocking, so I would imagine the switch is ok. Although, I noticed these switched actually have 3 different sets of contacts inside. My other thoughts were sticky solenoid (less likely since no issues with other stages) or a sticky relay?
tbird

Post by tbird »

In my reply I should have said deck unlock switch contacts are out of adjustment.

The fact that when you manually lift the deck lid while activating the top down control switch and the pump starts would indicate that those contact are not made a bad relay for the pump would be a bad relay and would not likely work just because the lid was lifted.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I may try taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts myself. I have seen a few people mention this here, including yourself, but no good discussion on how to do it. Any tips? Did you just gently bend the casing tabs to remove the cover then subsequently remove the plunger? I imagine there are some small springs I need to take caution to not loose.
"Rangoon Red"
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Hey Doc, Check this web site on the T Bird convertible tops, it might help you:
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gall ... Tbirds.pdf
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

ICON 1961 wrote:Hey Doc, Check this web site on the T Bird convertible tops, it might help you:
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gall ... Tbirds.pdf
He already posted that he did.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird

Post by tbird »

Had posted a reply to this last night but for some reason did not get there.

Yes you can take the switch apart and clean/repair it but prior to doing that it should be tested. Get out the top manual and follow the control circuit for the deck up sequence and use a multi meter to check the contacts to confirm that the correct ones are closed when the lid is unlocked, without looking at the diagrams and manual that should be with the plunger right up, make note of the resistance it should be very low. If the resistance is low it is likely that the switch is not quite making when the deck lid is unlocked or is erratic in closing the contact. If this is the case the switch would need to be moved down just a fraction so the contact would be reliable. I have seen some switches that over stroke the contact slightly and actually re-break contact on the over stroke, so they are going to far.

If the switch does not connect the circuit when moved manually it is now time to take it apart. To disassemble bend the tabs holding it closed very carefully making sure the switch does not fly apart on you then put it and your hands in a plastic bag to take the cover off as there will be springs inside the switch that can cause everything to fly out. The switch could be full of rust and corrosion make sure that you observe the location of everything snap a picture if you can for reference, clean up the inside you may have to file the contacts with ignition points file and use contact leaner to get the carbon of them a little light lub could be used on the slide.

When you reassemble the switch put everything back where it goes close the case and temporally hold it closed with a elastic band or a small clamp so it can be tested prior to bending the tabs shut as they might not survive opening them again. Use the OHM meter to check the resistance through each set of contacts, there should be lower resistance through the contacts now, if the circuit is OK on each set of contacts close the tabs and reinstall the switch and adjust.

Hope that this helps.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
orthodoc

Post by orthodoc »

I've finally had some time to look into this more. The contacts (all 3 sets) of the deck close limit switch seem to be working properly when I test it with my meter. The interesting point I wanted to make clear is that the deck lift initiation only fails in the top retract cycle, it has never happened in the top erect cycle. This is when the lid starts from fully screwed down in both cycles.
If been looking at all of my manuals and I'm having trouble sorting out why it would malfunction in the top retract but not top erect cycles? Does the deck close switch (front of trunk, passenger side) not get involved in the lid open of the top erect cycle?

Thanks for the help!
"Rangoon Red"
FlyAngry

Post by FlyAngry »

Aloha all,

I recently had a problem with the deck lid on my 62 sport roadster.

After a cruise and stop for dinner with the top down, I attempted to put the top up for the drive home. With the engine running I went to put the top up. The deck lid opened about an inch or so and then would go no further. At that point it seemed to struggle and began pulsing/hopping. The hydraulic pumps could be heard working, both lock screws turning, and the locks audibly clicking. Whatever was keeping the deck lid from going further, it seemed to me like it was only on one side (drivers). Rather than get stuck out with an even worse problem, I put the top back down and it went back down and secured like normal.

After getting back home and on a completely flat surface, I tried the top a couple more times and the same thing happened. Feeling slightly frustrated, on the last attempt I ran the top up a bit longer than my comfort zone. Miraculously, it "popped" and opened fully. The top went through the rest of the erect cycle as normal. Since then I haven't put the top fully down but I've opened and closed the deck lid a few times without problem.

I've been through the shop manual, convertible top maintenance manual, and searched the forums. My suspicion is that it may be a loose lock nut but I'm open to any other ideas. My main questions are:

1. If it's the lock nut, can it be tightened with something other than the specialized T57P-53510-A tool in Figure 18?
2. What about greasing the inside of the lock nuts?
3. Are there any general top maintenance tips you'd recommend? Spots to lube, things to routinely check, etc...

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate any additional thoughts from the experts.

Thanks,
JP
1962 Sport Roadster, '62 Caliber'
VTCI #12717
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I’m no expert, but I have 2 convertibles that are drivers
First check the fluid and hoses. First part sounds
Like low fluid if the locks - unlocked. Low fluid or
Pinched hose would make if off a little. But what you
Described afterwards sounds like a different issue.
Check for binding ? Maybe. Hope this helps.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible